Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Jennifer Wesley

Default George Vincent Wesley & Edith Metcalf

Hi ,
    Can somebody please help.
    I have decided to now do my husband`s family tree but don`t have much to go by. I have his grandfather as George Vincent Wesley born in Cardiff 8 April 1876 died in Durban, South Africa on 2 July 1952. He was married to Edith Wesley nee Metcalf who died in 1935 in Durban SA. Would like to find out who both their parents were & when he came to South Africa.

Thank you

Jenny

Name well known on Brit-Gen

There is a Mr Geo. Wesley age d 21 travelling to Cape town from London on the N Z ship RUAHINE-1st April 1896. listed as a miner.

This web site may be of help. Haven't found definite birth for a George v. Wesley nor marriage.

https://www.
    sagenealogy.co.za/Links.htm#Settlers

also in 1903 a G.W. Wesley 28 'laundry prop'r? from Liverpool to Cape town on the S S Medic.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Coromandel

Findmypast has some army records for a George Wesley born about 1875 in Cardiff. It might be worth having a look in case they give any leads (addresses, next of kin, etc.).

Jennifer Wesley

This could be him, as age is about right. I have searched the Settlers passenger lists before & no luck. There are a few Metcalfs as passengers but no Edith.

Thank you for your help

Jenny

I did eventually find him on a site called Ancestry24 on a Family tree, but you'd have to subscribe to see anymore.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Jennifer Wesley

I used to subscribe to Ancestry24 up until a year ago , started my family tree but I don`t think I got that far with the Wesley`s , so maybe I should start subscribing again - may have some luck .
    Thank you

Carla Wesley

George Vincent Wesley was my husband's great grandfather. Maybe we could compare notes? I am doing a family tree as a surprise for my husband so haven't been able to question the family as much as I'd like...

Reference #3

The entry is on the site familysearch that links to findmypast

George WESLEY
    Birth Parish St Mary Cardiff
    Service no 4072
    Gloucester Regiment 28th b& 61st Foot
    Attestation date 24 /03/1893

I am struggling to find any other reference to this name, Freebmd.org.uk do not have a birth entry. I would expect to find it in the quarter April - June 1876

I have searched using the forenames George Vincent only and nothing comes up on the various siteswith a surname of WESLEY.

I am wondering if WESLEY is his birth surname!!!!

What evidence do you have that he was born 1876 Cardiff

Carla Wesley

This is him, he went to India first and then to South Africa.

janbooth

Jean's information that she gave in post 8 leads to a George WESLEY's Service record on FindmyPast. I cannot give you full details (we are not permitted I'm afraid) but it would give you a lead in that it names his uncle as next of kin and the address of his uncle which could give you a starting point for your research. If you use their pay per view facility, it should not cost you too much and they also have a lot of Welsh records on the site (including actual parish register images) so that may also help you.

Janet

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast