Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Valued member of Brit-Gen

I now have Loyal Grace McKenzie's death certificate and he did marry in 1959 at Katoomba, so that part is right. It states that he was born in Scotland and that his father's name was Loyal McKenzie and his mother's name was Helen ? so he would have been born about 1892. One thing that worries me is the fact that his wife states that he had only been in Australia for 7 years, this can't be true as his other children were born in the 20's and 30's. I have advised his granson to get his first marriage to Elizabeth Stephenson in 1921 at Brisbane Qld.

I have had a look at Scotlandspeople for a birth or census info and he does not appear on either, non can I find his father another Loyal Mckenzie on the census. I am back to a brickwall, any ideas of where to look next?

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by michellemcintosh3 View Post
    I have had a look at Scotlandspeople for a birth or census info and he does not appear on either, non can I find his father another Loyal Mckenzie on the census. I am back to a brickwall, any ideas of where to look next?
    I had no luck either and indeed Loyal is a very uncommon name in Scotlandspeople index. Makes me think that perhaps it was actually Lyle (try that with an Australian accent) or some other variant. Will have another look.

Of course he may not have been born Scotland.

kermie62

Ive checked at the Austrlaian Archives but can find no records there

Thank you both for looking for his birth. I am sending off for his first marriage certificate from 1921 as the info on that was at least supplied by him and should be correct. I will let you know what extra info is on it.

Well today the marriage certificate arrived from QLD for his 1921 marriage (19 November) and this is what info it has, it states that he was a bachelor aged 27 born Bumbarton (surley this should be Dumbarton) Scotland his occupation Engineer his father is Lyle James Mckenzie Engineer, no mother's name is given married in the Church of England his bride Elizabeth Stephenson was only 17 born Brisbane and her father John Henry Stephenson (her mother was Sophia Elizabeth Treshmann) was one of the witnesses the other was A.V.J. Higglesan.
    So with this information he was born in 1894 so he should be on the 1901 census but I can't find him so I need help.

Famous for offering help & advice

I still can't find him but have had a look at various indexes for possibilities.

There's a 6 year old Lyal Mackenzie in Dingwall, Ross and Cromarty (a long way from Dumbarton) in 1901 b 1895

There is a Lyal Mackenzie b 1895 on FMP passenger list for 1920 London to Sydney

There is a marriage on SP 1892 Paisley, Renfrewshire for a Lyle Mackenzie to a Margaret

Will have another hunt around later....

Thanks once again for your help. This man is so frustrating I just can’t find him! I thought that by having his father’s name now he would turn up on a census, either 1901 or 1911 but no we still can’t find him. If it is him on the Tasmania Electoral roll in 1914 and I think it must be as it is a very uncommon name it would appear that he was here before 1920. His daughter was in touch with him throughout his life and his grandson even met him once, I have even read a letter he wrote to his daughter.
    I think that being an Engineer he would have arrived here as a crew member so I doubt that he will be on a passenger list.

I have had a look at SP and the marriage in 1892 was for a William Lyle McKenzie to Margaret Galbraith so it's not the right one, I also had a look for a Lyle McKenzie on the census, the outcome is not one in 1901 and on the 1911 there is a Lyle but he is aged only 4 the second hit was for a Marion Lyle aged 22. So I am back to the brickwall again, I am wondering if the family moved to England. Could I please ask somebody to lookup the 1901 UK census. Thanks

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I tried these today, on Scotlands People, censuses 1881 - 1911 for Lyle & Loyal . Scotland & England. Not a lot of luck. I could send you a copy of who I found in Scotland if you want, but it's not enlightening.
    Lyal Grace brings up lots of Grace, female.
    Lyle- usually a 2nd name. I wonder if your 'Loyal' laddie took on the Loyal name from past names or mispronounciation or LYLE.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast