Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Valued member of Brit-Gen

Yes it is the same Diver. His name was actually Divorah. It's on his birth cerificate. Have to say it sounds like a girls name to me. Anyway Diver had a massive funeral, of which there are photo's. His coffin was carried on the Fire Engine he used. It was called "Vivien" A local historian tracked it down to Yorkshire, bought it and now it's back to all it's glory. There is a rededication service to the "Vivien on the 4th July and it will be paraded through the town on Saturday. Just thought i'd mention this in case there were people near that area, interested in Fire Engines.

larmet1969

yes thanks didnt know about the dedication service sad i will miss it as i also missed the first one very pleased to talk to you as my grandfather was involved in diver (divorah ) funeral my grandad was sidney larmet he went on to drive the engine "vivein" i know the local historian in question im very gratefull to him for info regarding grandad there is a dedicated website to vivein it shows its restoration theres a pic in the new lillian ream book from cradle to grave regarding diver,s funeral also theres pics on the lillian ream website

It's alway's nice to talk to people with a connection. As i understand the Vivien is being paraded through the town on Saturday. I'd hope dto be there but i've pulled a nerve? in my hip and it's quite painful. I'm in contact with a young girl called Charlotte who is descended form Diver's son Harry. She will be so interested when i tell her what you've said. Charlotte has been trying to find the grave of Divers but the cemetery, Mount Pleasant is so large and the council want £23.50 to say where the grave is. Think that's terrible. Anyway thanks for getting in touch.

larmet1969

yes funny you said that i have family buried in the mount pleasant grave yard made the same request cant see how they can justify charging all that money next time im that way will have a search see if i can find it for you

Thanks . It's so large though that it would be quite a job. Strange to say that when i mentioned the cemetery charges tp George Dunlop, the Wisbech historian he said he's often asked for the where abouts of graves. He's been told without any charge. I said that perhaps it's because he's an historian for Wisbech. But he's adamant that he's never told them who he is. So shouldn't make any difference. If it can't be found by searching then i'll have pay the charge. Although as my husbands got a big birthday next month and i'm getting some paper's/photo's from Barnardos about another relative, which will cost about £85,paying for cemetery directions will have to wait a while. Some years ago i wanted to know where a Gt Gt Grandmother was buried with one of her son's. They had drowned. The council told me where the grave was without paying as it was just inside the gates. Unfortunately we found three just inside the gates all without headstone. So didn't know which grave was theirs. It was along way to go. for that outcome.

Cspencer

Quote Originally Posted by larmet1969 View Post
    yes thanks didnt know about the dedication service sad i will miss it as i also missed the first one very pleased to talk to you as my grandfather was involved in diver (divorah ) funeral my grandad was sidney larmet he went on to drive the engine "vivein" i know the local historian in question im very gratefull to him for info regarding grandad there is a dedicated website to vivein it shows its restoration theres a pic in the new lillian ream book from cradle to grave regarding diver,s funeral also theres pics on the lillian ream website
    Just seen your comment about your grandfather Sidney Larmet. Diver was my 2nd Great Grandfather. His son (my great grandfather) Harry Ridgeway Smith was also a fireman. I found a copy of a picture online recently of the Wisbech fire service in 1937, it shows Harry on the end of the front row.
    It has been interesting finding out about Diver's funeral as I had been unaware he had been such a popular figure in the town. I was really grateful when Susan sent me the article and pictures. If there is anything you know about the funeral or if you know who any of the mourners are I would be grateful. Still trying to piece together names of people who attended as article doesn't list first names.
    Thanks
    Charlotte

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

This is an incredible long shot to post 9 (?) years after these posts were started but I’ll give it a try ☺️

I’m at very early stages of research my family tree - finding it very interesting & wishing I’d done this all sooner to be honest! Divers was also my Gt, Gt Grandfather. His son, Harry, my Great Grandfather (Charlotte, above, is my second cousin)

I’m fascinated to find out more, especially about the funeral given I understand from these forum posts this was quite an attended event & im just wondering (even after all this time!) if there’s anything anyone could share, I think I’ve managed to find a copy of a photograph of the funeral in archive which I can order from Cambs Council & I believe there is a Lilian Ream book that May contain photos of this event too?

Thankyou

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12