Thread: Adoption info

Brick wall demolition expert!

Default Adoption info

My G Aunt left her home in Manchester to live with a man in Cheshire abt 1911, the relationship didnt last, her grandaughter, my 2nd cousin tells me that she had 2 children ( have seen both birth certs) 1 of these children was my cousins father, her father told her that his sister had died young and he never knew her, after numerous wrong death certs we are wondering if in fact, as a single mum she adopted her out at some stage after the birth, can adoption records be checked for this info? All parties involved would be or are presumed deceased now. The daughter was born in 1912.
    Thanks Val

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Val, you may find something here.

https://www.adoption.org.uk/
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Jan1954

Hello Val,

It was the Adoption of Children Act of 1926 that put adoption in the UK on a proper footing. Prior to that, informal arrangements were quite often made.

Although the forum is headed up as Adoption pre-1911, I think that the answer to your query could be in the stickies at the top of that forum. Also, given the nature of your query, I shall move the thread over there.

Have a look here for information about post-1911 adoption as well as this post.

I did wonder if perhaps the child was just given to another relative to raise as their own...my G Aunt would have only been abt 19 when the daughter was born..but the second child was to the same father and she kept him..maybe eventually we may find a death to collaborate the story.

My grandfather was orphaned by the age of 7, and his grandmother raised him and an older sister. However, there was a younger brother and sister and these were "adopted out" to 2 different families, who may or may not have been related to one another and/or to my grandfather (there are lots of bits of stories floating in the family myths). None of them lost touch.

When I looked in the 1911 census to find the younger children, I just could not find sister, nor could I find her marriage. When I searched marriages by her husband's name it came up with someone who had the same first names but a different surname. So then I searched the 1911 census using that bride's name to see what came up. It turned out to be my great aunt, and looking at the original form her birth surname had been crossed out and replaced with her adoptive family's surname.

I doubt that there was ever any formal change of name process gone through. I suspect that it was just that the adoptive parents wanted her to have their name.

Interestingly in the case of her brother, his name in the 1911 census, marriage records etc., is his birth name and his adoptive parents had different surnames.

So unhelpfully all I would say is that prior to 1926 and the formalisation of adoptions there are no hard and fast rules.

Thanks for that, the mother involved also remains elusive...story was she died when my cousin's dad was around 15 so abt 1929, searching years 1925-1935 using her own name her defactos name and all possible variations have failed to find a suitable death for her as well ( have already put this problem thru BG forums..) think some family members just remain elusive, who knows when and if they release the 1921 census we may find more answers.