Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mike Russell

Default RUSSELL in Co Durham

I am trying to find something about my 2xGreat Grandfather, Henry Russell, born about 1779 probably in Stockton on Tees and married 1806 to Elizabeth Broom. He is said to have died in the East Indies but that's all we know. He may have been a mariner.

One of his sonse, also Henry, owned a hotel (Russell's Family and Commercial) in West Hartlepool; his son, my G-Grandfather was born in Church Street, W Hartlepool. Another Son, Samuel, emigrated with his family to Cleveland Ohio.

We would like to know more about Henry 1779 and any suggestions would be welcome.

Mike Russell

Jan1954

Hi Mike,

In that family Bible of yours, does it say where Henry was baptised and where he and Elizabeth married? Have you found them in the censuses at all?

jack66

i think a few more details are needed, i have seen henry russell's born approx 1779 however none that ive seen born were born in stockton, have a look at this site

https://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp

Mike Russell

Unfortunately not. We have only his name, date of birth, death (no date) "in the East Indies" and date of marriage to E. Broom. We do have the names of his children, and their histories are fairly well documented, mostly in Ohio. His son, Henry, kept a hotel in Stockton.

All were born in Stockton, Durham. His wife, akthough the word Durham is widely used to mean the county. His wife, apparently, came from in N Yorkshire, but I have not been able to trace any details of her.

Mike Russell

I looked at this site, but there seem to be no Henry Russells in the NE; all are from S or SW England. But we have many records of verifiable ancestors after Henry 1779 in Stockton or elswhere in Co Durham. Henry and Elizabeth's son, also Henry, b 1818 was a hotel keeper in W Hartlepool and his son, Charles Newton, whom I knew, was born at 36 Church St. Henry 1818 is buried at Greatham, Co Durham.

jack66

hello, i have seen a part family tree of a Henry Russell on ancestry, it says that henry Russell born 1779 married Elizabeth broom in Yorkshire in 1806, Elizabeth was born in monkwearmouth Sunderland, they went on to have 4 children, Isabella Russell b. 1807-1867, Eleanore Russell b. 1813-1879, Samuel Russell b. 1816-1895 and Henry Russell b. 1818-1892. im still digging, in the 1851 census, Elizabeth Russell was living with her daughter Isabella burlinson and son in law benjamin burlinson and her neice Eleanor Russell aged 5. am not sure if it says widow next to her name, the writings poor. what i have noticed though is that sometimes the name Russell has been transcribe in error as Rupell. oddly enough the name burlinson from sunderland is in my family tree aswell,

Mike Russell

Default Russell in Co Durham

Quote Originally Posted by jack66 View Post
    hello, i have seen a part family tree of a Henry Russell on ancestry, it says that henry Russell born 1779 married Elizabeth broom in Yorkshire in 1806, Elizabeth was born in monkwearmouth Sunderland, they went on to have 4 children, Isabella Russell b. 1807-1867, Eleanore Russell b. 1813-1879, Samuel Russell b. 1816-1895 and Henry Russell b. 1818-1892. im still digging, in the 1851 census, Elizabeth Russell was living with her daughter Isabella burlinson and son in law benjamin burlinson and her neice Eleanor Russell aged 5. am not sure if it says widow next to her name, the writings poor. what i have noticed though is that sometimes the name Russell has been transcribe in error as Rupell. oddly enough the name burlinson from sunderland is in my family tree aswell,
    Thank you for this. It confirms some of what we have, with some anomalies probably due to inaccurate census-taking, and adds some detail. Samuel Russell and his family departed to Cleveland Ohio together with members of the Pae family (related by marriage). Samuel married Ann (Ranson) Rush.

The mystery still surrounds Henry Russell 1779. Beyond his marriage and family details, and a record in our family bible that he died in the East Indies, there seems to be nothing (indicating that perhaps he did die in the E Indies). He may have been a mariner, sea-captain but we have no details.

Mike Russell

Mike Russell

I should have added to my recent post, that whoever wrote the entries in theFamily Bible in the early 19th, used the 'f' form of the double-s, which might well have caused to Rupell version of the name. I believe some russels in thos parts changed the family name from Ruffell, just to confuse the issue further!

Coromandel

Hi Mike

I appreciate that it's Henry's baptism you're trying to find, but it may be helpful to try to confirm some of the later details from the family Bible as this may give you some clues about where to look for Henry's origins.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Russell View Post
    We do have the names of his children, and their histories are fairly well documented, mostly in Ohio. His son, Henry, kept a hotel in Stockton. . . . . All were born in Stockton, Durham.
    Have you found baptisms for the children? You can browse scanned images of Bishops' transcripts of the Stockton upon Tees parish registers on the FamilySearch site here:

In the early nineteenth century (before the introduction of printed baptism registers in 1813) the Stockton baptism registers, like many others from the north-east, are particularly detailed, showing the 'native place' of both of the child's parents. I did have a quick look for Russells but didn't spot yours. There were some others, whose details it may be worth recording in case you can find a connection with yours. You may well also discover Henry's occupation if you can find baptisms for the children.

Before you spend lots of time ploughing through these records, however, it might be sensible to find birthplaces for Henry & Elizabeth's children from later census returns, if they lived long enough to be on censuses. In post #6 jack66 mentions Henry's daughter Isabella (married name Burlinson). The 1861 census index on FamilySearch has an Isabella Burlinson of the right sort of age but her birthplace is given as Ripon, Yorkshire. I'm not sure if this is the right person, though, as I can't see the original images.

Do you know exactly when and where Henry & Elizabeth married? If so, do you have a copy of the marriage entry from the parish register, and what does it say?

When is your last sighting of Henry? (It would be helpful to know this in order to narrow down the date when he died.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Russell View Post
    Samuel Russell and his family departed to Cleveland Ohio together with members of the Pae family (related by marriage). Samuel married Ann (Ranson) Rush.
    FamilySearch has a marriage of a Samuel Russell (son of Henry) to an Ann Plumb, widow, daughter of William Ranson at South Shields St Hilda on 21 January 1839. Could this be your Samuel marrying? (Though at first sight 'Plumb' and 'Rush' seem quite different names, the words when handwritten could be a similar sort of shape so one could be a mis-reading of the other. Does the family Bible say when/where your Samuel & Ann married?). There are some scanned images of the South Shields parish registers for this period in the Durham Bishops' transcripts part of the FamilySearch site (confusingly listed just as 'Saint Hilda' not as 'South Shields'). However, for 1839 I could only find baptisms and burials, not marriages. There are some 1833 marriages near the beginning of the set of 400 or so images, but I couldn't find any for 1839. They may not be there at all, or I may not have looked hard enough.

If you can't find the entry online, you can send off for a copy of the marriage certificate, which would give the same information as in the parish register. We know from the transcript on FamilySearch that it gives Samuel's father's name as Henry. The original may also include an occupation for Henry, or it may say he was dead.

Mike Russell

Much appreciated!

Up to now, we have concentrated on taking the info - such as it is - from the Family bible and, with the Help of Ancestry, struvturing in a logical tree. So we have not yet attempted to search baptism records. The problem is exacerbated by our 'ancestral scribe' have used the term 'Durham' to cover Stockton, Hartlepool and other points, so that we seldom know the specific parish in which the baptism might have taken place. We do know that Henry Russell 1779 married Elizabeth Broom in 1806, possibly in Yorkshire (Ripon?) And they had 4 children: Eleanor J born in Stockton and married Rev J Lamb of Stockton; Isabella, b 1807 in Ripon; Samuel 1816 and Henry 1818, both born in Stockton. I suppose a search of Ripon records might yield something. Elizabeth is elsewhere said to have been born in Monkwearmouth, so the fact that she and Henry married in Ripon is odd, unless Henry 1779 in fact was connected with that town. I'll pursue that line.

Regardin Samuel and Ann Ranson: We have found elsewhere a suggestion that she might have been called Plumb but as you have surmised, this may well have been a handwriting artefact!

Unfortuately, the FB is low on details but we do also have an archive of personal material from those times and we are adding all these nuggets of info that you and otherds arecontributing. Spepcifically, however, the FB is silent upon the location of the marriage.

To date we have concentrated on getting the main line into shape, but a whole lot of detail has surfaced in the tree of William Pae of Stockton. Robert married Isabella Burlinson Russell in August 1859 in 'Durham' (probably Stockton) and emigrated tp Cleveland Ohio at the same time as Samuel and his family.

You have given me food for thought and I'll follow up on some of these points. It may be that by a circuitous route through children andintemarriages with Newtons, Burlinsons, et al will generate some leads. I'll post something other in due course, and in the meantime, please let me know if any other leads surface.

Mike Russell

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast