Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    apowell

Default Dean family of Ellenhall

Hi,

I'm hoping someone maybe able to give me some advice on my Dean family.

I'm excited to have traced this branch of my family back to the late 17th century mostly due to other researchers efforts with evidence and sources quoted eg. parish records and wills etc.

This one however is proving a real headache:

Parents
    William & Eleanor
    William Dean Bapt' 10 Jun 1753 Ellenhall, Staffordshire

The problem is I can't find any wedding entry for Willam & Eleanor and also any other children bapts' to them which seems strange.

I did find a wedding entry:
    William Dean & Jane Backhouse
    1 Jan 1745, Ellenhall, Staffordshire

I'm wondering if Eleanor and Jane are the same person and she used both names but how can I check this without paying monies to order the parish records which may not help ?

I can't find any records of Jane Backhouse or any children Bapt to William & Jane ??

I found the above entries on the IGI (yes I know) and the parish records on ancestry.

The Dean family seems to have been well established around the Stafford area and married into other local farming families. Interestingly I've seen records on the IGI and Ancestry of the Dain/Dayne families also around the same area and wondering if they were somehow connected to the Deans.

I'm not sure what to do next to track down William & Eleonor marriage ????

Regards
    Adrian

janbooth

The National Burial Index shows a burial at Ellenhall on 23 Feb 1766 for an Eleanor DEAN which seems to support the baptism you found for William.

Janet
    Last edited by janbooth; 27-05-2012 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Change of text

apowell

Hi,

I've been in touch with another researcher and her family member had done some research on my Dean ancestors and she's very kindly given me further information. I'm waiting for her to send documents etc researched but she's already told me a few more details and I'm wondering if you could help me expand further.

11 Apr 1689 Nathaniel Dean and Margaret Smyth of Ranton Monastery.
    Staffordshire: Ellenhall - Parish Registers, 1539-1812

The information I was given was that Nathaniel was a lawn head.

I've no idea what a lawn head did and would they have lived and worked at Ranton Monastery ????

I couldn't find any mention of Ranton Monastery in the late 17th century.

Any help would be great.

Kind regards
    Adrian

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by apowell View Post
    The information I was given was that Nathaniel was a lawn head.

I've no idea what a lawn head did
    Without seeing the original parish register it is difficult to be sure, but my guess would be that this is not his occupation, but his abode at the time of the marriage: there is a place called Lawnhead or Lawn Head in Staffordshire.

Quote Originally Posted by apowell View Post
    I couldn't find any mention of Ranton Monastery in the late 17th century.
    It seems more usually to be called Ranton Abbey.

apowell

Hi,

Many thanks for the information on Lawnhead being a place in Staffordshire which is very interesting.

I'm wondering was Lawnhead part of the parish of Ranton Monastery because the information that Nathanial was from here doesn't seem to fit somehow with working at the Abbey.

I've received his Inventory of Goods dated 1723 and he owned cattle, horses and a number of leather and unnamed shops with other items and the total amount was £352-9-0.

I'm wondering would this suggest he was a Farmer/Tanner and was £352-9-0 a decent amount for those days.

Kind regards
    Adrian

apowell

Hi,

You're spot on about Ranton Abbey being the same as Ranton Monastery because I've found parish records for the same period and they say of Ranton Abbey so I think this seems to suggest an area around the Abbey where these people must have lived.

Well done and very helpful as always.

Regards
    Adrian

apowell

Hi,

I'm sorry but the Nathanial inventory quoted above isn't the Snr but his son who married Mary Bailey and the date was 1727. The inventory was taken by Daniel Deane and Humphrey Bailey.

Regards
    Adrian

Richardtatt

Default Dean family of Ellenhall

Hi,

I am direct decendant of the Dean family. I live in Stafford where my Great Grandmother was born Nellie Dean. Her Father was Abraham Dean Snr. Please let me know if you would like any further information. I am trying to find out details of any other direct family from My Great Grandmother brothers and sisters.

Richard

apowell

Hi,

This post was sometime ago and I'd left it due to hitting a brickwall however I've managed to find out further information and would appreciate your input.

I've obtained the will dated 1766 of Ellin Dean wife of William from Ellenhall, Staffordshire mentioned above and thankfully she mentions in the will her siblings. Sisters mentioned were Ellin (odd given same as her name but maybe an error) & Mary Lynell including Elizabeth Podmore (assume married name) with her brother Thomas Lynell yeoman of Walton Hurst as an exec' of the will. One of the witnesses to her will was Henry Lynill maybe a relative.

I think this is the bapts' entry of Ellin and her siblings:
    Thomas & Hannah
    Ellin Lynel 1731 Eccleshall, Staffs'
    Thomas Lynel 1733 Eccleshall, Staffs'
    Mary Lynill 1736 Eccleshall, Staffs'
    Elizabeth Lynel 1738 Eccleshall, Staffs'
    Henry Lynill 1741 Eccleshall, Staffs' buried same day

Possible marriage
    Thomas Lynell & Hannah Yates
    21 Dec 1730 eccleshall, staffordshire

The problem is I still can't find a marriage entry for Ellin Lynil and William Dean anywhere on the internet and Staffordshire is well covered.

Anyone have further information on the Lynill family of Hurst Walton of Staffordshire. They are difficult to find on documents given the different ways of spelling of their surname, however I did find mention of an old family the de Linhills:
    From the village of lyne Hill or Linhull, apparently belonging to the deanery, but mainly in the hands of a family who are called variously de Linhill, de Lynhull, Lynell or Lynehill. near Penkridge, Staffordshire. I've been able to find very little information on this family and would love to uncover more.

Any help would be fantastic on how I could if possible research further the Lynhill family and any ideas on a marriage entry for Ellin and William. Interestingly I also have been unable to locate a marriage entry for Elizabeth and a Podmore or their brother Thomas. I'm thinking maybe they married outside of Staffordshire ???

Merry Xmas and many thanks
    Adrian

Knowledgeable and helpful

Have you found any marriage for Ellin? She might have been a widow when she married William Dean, and thus using a different surname. pwholt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast