Thread: Brickwall Chew

baymanofkb

Default Brickwall Chew

How to I find the Birth Name and Place of my Great Great Grandmother Fanny Chew born in Bedfordshire in 1833, place looks like Nissom? In the 1891 Census she is widowed and living in Short Heath Staffs? Any help, ideas welcomed

bayman

Jan1954

Hi there bayman,
    Quote Originally Posted by baymanofkb View Post
    How to I find the Birth Name and Place of my Great Great Grandmother Fanny Chew born in Bedfordshire in 1833, place looks like Nissom? In the 1891 Census she is widowed and living in Short Heath Staffs? Any help, ideas welcomed

bayman
    Is that from the 1901 census? If so, what is the reference, please? The way to find out her maiden name would be to obtain a copy of the birth certificate of one of her children - your great grandparent would be the best one.

Meanwhile, I will slide this over to the Bedfordshire forum so that those with local knowledge may be alerted.

janbooth

1901 census ref is RG13/2687, folio 20, page 32. 1871 census of Maulden, Bedfordshire (RG10/1555, folio 10, page 11) shows Jesse CHEW, aged 55, Ag Labourer, born Westoning, Beds living at Duck End with wife Fanny, aged 35, born Westoning and children Mary Ann aged 15, Thomas 9, Joseph 6, Frederick 3 all born Westoning and Elizabeth aged 11 months born Maulden.

1861 census of Westoning (RG9/1001, folio 85, page 1) shows Jesse & Fanny living in Westoning with children William aged 2 and Thomas aged 9 months.

The GRO Index shows a marriage in the December qtr 1858 at Woburn reg district of a Jesse CHEW and the other name on the page is that of a Fanny WALTON which sounds a likely candidate for the marriage of your Jesse & Fanny. However, as Jan has suggested, you should obtain the birth registration of one of their children and this will confirm Fanny's maiden name.

Janet

Census records courtesy TNA
    Last edited by janbooth; 24-05-2012 at 9:55 AM. Reason: Missing text

janbooth

Just to show the census progression, in the 1891 census of Bentley, Staffordshire (RG12/2246, folio 152, page 9), Fanny CHEW is shown as a widowed Charwoman living at Bentley Lane with children Frederick aged 22, Mary Ann aged 21, Frances Ann aged 17 (who presumably married Edward SANDLES with whom Fanny snr was living in the 1901 census) and grandchildren Henry CHEW aged 12, George CHEW aged 10, John Thomas CHEW aged 3 months and James Thomas CHEW aged 2 months (his age has been written over the orgiinal census entry in a different hand)

1881 census of Bentley, Staffs (RG11/2819, folio 123, page 5) Jesse & Fanny CHEW are living with children Thomas, Frederick, Francis (presumably Frances), Henry, Mary Ann (now shown as aged 24) and Georgie aged 9 months.

Janet

davidcarca

The IGI at www.familysearch.org is the place to start, particularly in Bedfordshire which is particularly well covered. The marriage of Jesse Chew, father Thomas, and Fanny Walton, father James was at Harlington on 15 Aug 1858. It's an extracted entry, which is reliable, as opposed to member submissions which are unreliable. Baptisms of their children Betsy, 1870; Frances Ann 1874; Sarah Ann 1874; all in Maulden, and Henry George in 1868 in Ampthill are also on the IGI.

David

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by davidcarca View Post
    The marriage of Jesse Chew, father Thomas, and Fanny Walton, father James was at Harlington on 15 Aug 1858.
    There is a Fanny Walton in the 1851 census in Westoning with parents James and Mary. She is age 15 (born Westoning) and her siblings are Joseph (12), Betsy (11), William(9), John(7), Ruth(5).

1851: Piece: 1754; Folio: 367; Page: 31
    1841: Piece: 5 Book/Folio: 37/12 Page: 18

baymanofkb

Default Brickwall Chew Family

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    Just to show the census progression, in the 1891 census of Bentley, Staffordshire (RG12/2246, folio 152, page 9), Fanny CHEW is shown as a widowed Charwoman living at Bentley Lane with children Frederick aged 22, Mary Ann aged 21, Frances Ann aged 17 (who presumably married Edward SANDLES with whom Fanny snr was living in the 1901 census) and grandchildren Henry CHEW aged 12, George CHEW aged 10, John Thomas CHEW aged 3 months and James Thomas CHEW aged 2 months (his age has been written over the orgiinal census entry in a different hand)

1881 census of Bentley, Staffs (RG11/2819, folio 123, page 5) Jesse & Fanny CHEW are living with children Thomas, Frederick, Francis (presumably Frances), Henry, Mary Ann (now shown as aged 24) and Georgie aged 9 months.

Janet

Many thanks for this info it does seem to tally My Grand Father George James was born in 1881 I am awaiting his birth cert. hopefully that will help me move along

Again Many thanks

Bayman

baymanofkb

Many thank to all,
    I am now on the right track. Thanks to your guidance I have been able to find my Gt,Gt Grandparents.

baymanofkb

janbooth

Great news and good luck with the rest of your research.

Janet