Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Colin Rowledge

Default What is the difference between terms?

I see references in baptisms stating illegitimate [1811] and base [1821]. Do these terms mean the same? If not, what is the difference?

Colin

Jan1954

Short answer: yes

Longer answer: there were many names given to mean illegitimate, Colin, and it depends upon where they are written and by whom as to what they were. So, illegitimate, base born, bastard, purported son/daughter of...., by-blow, whoreson etc all mean the same.

Colin Rowledge

Thanks Jan - that is what I thought.

So in 1811 the compiler of the Parish record and the compiler in 1821 used their own term to state the birth-right of the child.

Colin

Jan1954

You got it.

I have seen some quite derogatory terms used in Parish Registers by some Parish Clerks, whilst others make no comment at all about the babe, but may have against the mother "single woman" or other such adjectives.

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post

You got it.
    Aint I smart!!!

Please no comment from the cheap seats

Knowledgeable and helpful

There was no difference between baseborn and illegitimate however the correct legal term was bastard.

Here are a few alternative terms used in Parish Registers-

bastard, base, baseborn, a by-blow, begotten in fornication, chance begot, chance child, illegitimate, love-child, love-begotten,
    natural, misbegotten, merrily begotten, merrybegot, spurious, a scape-begotten child, whoreson, child of a harlot, child of shame.

In Latin there are filius nullius (son of none), filius populi (son of the people), filius meretricis (son of a prostitute).
    Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Famous for offering help & advice

Base and illegitimate are the same yes. I have found some really more outspoken terms like "son of a harlot" begotten, whoreson etc. If that was now the vicar would get defrocked lol.

JohnN

'Merrily begotten' - now that's got a nice ring to it!

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
    'Merrily begotten' - now that's got a nice ring to it!

Much nicer than some of the others posted by Guy. The terms may change - but the end result is still the same. The child was born of a mother, lived a long or short life, married [or didn't], had children and one of us is descended from that child.

As my own father was one, I have no qualms accepting ohers of a similar ilk within my family lineage. To me a bastard from the 18th to early 20th century, is vastly different from those born now!!

That is just my opinion, and I'm not interested [but others may be] in debating morals of society through various generations

Loves to help with queries

In Eastham in Worcestershire the vicar wrote on 6 February 1747 "baptized William base son of Jane Owles, alias Jane Toby by Michael Harris, Richard Griffin or Thomas Bury, etc." Not in my tree, thankfully. cicilysmith

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast