Del 80

Default Not on 1911 Census....Why ?

Hello, I have a chap who does not appear on the 1911 census, his name is Hugh Joseph Clarke, born Ardrossan Scotland in 1900, I have his birth, I have him on the 1901, his 2 marriages, his attestation papers and his death, but in 1911 he cannot be found, anyone have any thoughts on why?...Regards Del.

Mary Young

Hi Del

You have posted this in "British Census", this term can be a bit misleading - the Scottish census is separate - I assume you have checked both Scotland and England?

In 1901 Ardrossan, Hugh Joseph Clarke age 1, brother Samuel age 3, and mother Susanna (ms McDowall), age 24, were living with Susanna's mother, Ann McDowall. They were all born in Ireland.

I only have access to the a***y transcripts, which don't show marital status. Where was Hugh Joseph's father - or was Susanna Clarke already a widow?

Did Hugh Joseph Clarke marry and enlist in Scotland? Perhaps in 1911 he was visiting relatives in Ireland.

Perhaps he was away from home in school and would be ennumerated with the school not at home
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Del 80

Hello Mary, Thanks for the reply, I have checked Ireland and England census , and there is no sign of him at all, Hugh Joseph's father Samuel Clarke, vanished in 1900 in Ireland, I don't think he ever came to Scotland with rest of family, HJC married twice in Scotland and enlisted there, I did wonder if he was in Ireland in 1911, think his brother Samuel Allan is there with grandmother Anne McDowell, but no sign of Hugh Joseph Regards Del.

Del 80

Hello Ladkyis, Thanks for reply, I know that he was involved with the military from an early age, it has been suggested that he could have been away training at a military estabishment, just thought that 11 years old was rather young for that to be a possibility. Regards Del.

Knowledgeable and helpful Jellylegs's Avatar

Silly question, but have you looked for him on the 1911 Scottish census?