Janette1169

Post Thomas Walker 1838/9-1862

Hi. I am searching for information relating to a Thomas Walker b. 1838/9. He went to live in America and settled in Darien,McIntosh County,Georgia. He married a lady named Sarah Doyle in 1859.
    He enlisted with the confederates,Company M,26th Infantry Regiment, Georgia, 13th Aug 1861 and died 18th Feb 1862.

Not sure where the information of him being born on the Isle of Wight came from, but i don't seem to find anything at all on him

Its not a lot of info but all i have. I am searching for any information on his family and Thomas himself.

Kind regards

Janette

Patchwork Cat

Hi Janette

Although the Isle of Wight is a county in its own right, until 1890 it was part of the county of Hampshire. So, on the 1841 Census where they are giving their birthplace as Hampshire, England, that could be somewhere on the island. There place of residence at the time of the Census could still be Hampshire, but parents may have moved to the mainland to find work. Not sure if this will be any help, but hope you find something.

Another point to consider is that Walker is a northern name and could there have been confusion between the Isle of Wight and the Isle of Man which is off the coast of Lancashire. I only mention this because a friend who was adopted at birth could not track her family. She was adamant her mother came from the Isle of Wight and in the end she found a professional researcher to try and trace her - he found her on the Isle of Man. Just a thought.

Regards Carole

Janette1169

Hi Carole and thank you for your reply. I did find a Thomas Walker born Isle of Man , however i'm not convinced it is him. I will take a look again at the census and look for Hampshire.

Thanks again.

Janette