Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by aussiemez View Post
    His parents (according to his marriage cert) were John Poole - Lieutenant British army and Harriet Wilson.
    Checking that you have seen this marriage...

groom's name: John Poole
    bride's name: Harriet Wilson
    marriage date: 01 Nov 1819
    marriage place: Radford, Nottingham, England
    (Family Search)

aussiemez

Thanks Olliecat. Yes i had seen this and based on dates etc am reasonably certain it is him. Still pondering the whole tinsmith/auctioneer thing though.

Merranie

aussiemez

Yes thanks Ollie cat. Can't remember for certain now, but am pretty sure that this is the one who is the lace maker. Dates and names work, just the occupation throwing me.

Regards Merranie

aussiemez

Hi Olliecat. You are a superslueth! I very much appreciate your taking your time to help me. Yes, only found out last night, but I am fairl certain this is Frederick's son by his first marriage to "Ellen". Don't know much more than that at this stage.

Cheers
    Merranie

Hi there, Merranie,
    I have a particular interest in the East Midlands folk who went to the Calais area and were involved in the machine lace industry. Some ended up traveling to Australia - look up the ASLC (Australian Society of the Lacemakers of Calais). I have shoeboxes full of info on many of these families and still collecting, compiled from the French BMDs and censuses. I have the birth of Henri Poole, born on the 12th "mai" 1825 in Calais itself (not the suburb of St Pierre). His parents were John Poole, 32, "mécanicien" and Henriette Wilson, 22. A few passports of the period have ended up in the Calais archives and there is one there, signed by John Poole in June 1825; he says he is a "fabricant de tulle" (lace maker) aged 32 and measures 1m 76. He is living in Calais and traveling to St Quentin, another town important in the lace trade.
    I do not have a birth ref for your Frederick Alfred, but will have another look as the BMDs and their 10yr indexes are on-line now. I can offer some insight into the fact that was apparently in the military before his lacemaking days. After the Battle of Waterloo, British troops were still required to run the country and were stationed there. The last occupying troops did not leave until November 1818; they were often then discharged or retained on half-pay, which they discovered went much further in France. Many of the original pioneers who took the machine lace industry to northern France, were ex-army. As he was from Leicestershire, he would have known many of the lacemakers involved. I'll see if I can find out anything more.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Merranie,
    I'm wondering if you're still looking for help with this brickwall. It's possible that I'm a descendant of Frederick Alfred Poole's first cousin Thomas Poole. I've found quite a bit on the family and can confirm that you were dealing with the same John Poole (lieutenant and lace). My brickwall is proving that Thomas is mine so we might be able to help each other. The Ann Poole (mentioned above) born in Calais in 1826 was Thomas Poole's sister and cousin to Frederick Alfred Poole.

Linda11

Hi Charlie

I am also a decendant of Frederick Alfred Poole via his daughter Lavinia and currently I am in touch with some others who are decendants of his other daughter Christina. It would be great to share some pieces of the puzzle. We have quite a bit of information about Frederick, including the fact that he appears to be a convict exile to Victoria. Would love to hear from you. Lindar11 AT gmail DOT com
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 22-10-2017 at 7:35 AM. Reason: Email address disguised to deter spammers

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Bonjour,
    avez-vous avancé dans vos recherches ?
    Harriett Wilson and John Poole were my 3rd great-grand-parents
    https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pe...ories/MQ19-TSC
    nous pouvons chercher ensemble.
    Muriel

Welcome to the British Genealogy forum, Muriel.

Sadly, the OP on this thread (aussiemez) is no longer a memeber of the group (you can see this because they are tagged as a "guest" under their username). We are not allowed to keep details of people who leave the Forum (Privacy laws), so we can't notify them of your message. The thread is maintained in our archive in can the info can help members.

Don't give up - there's more info available online now.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Bonjour,
    j'ai déjà été membre du groupe par le passé mais j'ai aussi été étiquetée comme "invitée" sous mon nom d'utilisateur et je me suis inscrite à nouveau.
    (https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...ustus)it's

it's me !
    mon message est surtout pour Charliespark qui semble toujours membre.
    j'ai beaucoup de difficultés avec ma généalogie britannique (je ne maîtrise pas assez bien la langue) et je suis habituée à avoir librement accès aux actes qui offrent beaucoup de renseignements sur les personnes.
    je vous remercie pour votre message de bienvenue et je vais attendre une éventuelle réponse de Charliepark
    je trouve qu'il y a peu de généalogistes "Poole" dans le comté de Nottingham, dommage !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast