ozzy1945

Post Birth Certificate Help

Hi all,
    I have been trying to find the birth of an aunt who was born in Portsmouth 1919, her name was Catherine Rosemary Helen Steedman ( went by the name of Mary) her mother Daisy May Dallas.
    I have found her sisters and found her marrage and death but can't find her birth. Please can anyone help.
    Thank you.

Brick wall demolition expert!

I assume that her sisters were Eva 1916, Daisy 1922 and Hazel 1925. These are the only Steedman children born in Hampshire 1915-1925.

I tried various permutations of her name and her mother's and used wild cards, but does not appear to be a birth record in the name of Catherine Rosemary Helen or Mary.

Have you looked for baptisms?

Mutley

Sorry, I've tried all sorts of combinations but I cannot find her either.

Is the William that Daisy married, the boarder staying with them on the 1911? He was quite a bit older than her.
    I wondered if Catherine was not his daughter but I still cannot find her or any other female that looks a possible.

Coromandel

According to Scotland's People the birth of a Catherine R.H. Steedman was registered in Scotland in 1919.

P.S. as this is less than 100 years ago, you can't see an image of the entry from the birth register online. Instead you would have to order an 'extract', which costs £12. If you haven't already registered with Scotland's People you will need to do this and then buy some credits (I think the minimum amount is £7) so that you can search the birth index and view the entry in the index. For details see

https://www.
    scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/help/index.aspx?r=554&412

I wonder if the family had moved because of the war?

ozzy1945

Hi all,
    Thank you for your help, It sounds like you have found my auntie in Scotland. her father was from Scotland and so they might have been on a visit. I will send off for the birth certificate and will let you know if it is her. I did not think about scotland as her sisters where all born in Portsmouth. Thank you all for your help, I was about to bang my head on the wall.

Mutley

Well done Coromandel, I would never have thought of looking in Scotland!

ozzy1945

I have received birth certificate for my Chatherine R H Steedman and yes she was born in Edinburgh Scotland.
    Thank you Coromandel and all for your help.

Coromandel

That's great news, ozzy1945, thank you for letting us know.