Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    scooter

Question Finding the Sheehan side of my family tree

I know very little about the sheehan side of my family. My gt grandmother was Elizabeth Sheehan born in Aberavon Wales in 1860. Her parents were Patrick and Elleanor(Ellen) both born in Ireland what part I don't know. In the 1861 Welsh census Patrick was 32, Elleanor 26, John aged 5, Ellen aged 3 and my Elizabeth aged 9mths John and Ellen were born in Mythr Tdfill but Ellen in Aberavon. I have checked other census dates but found nothing all it notes on the 1861 census isthey were living in Charlotte street (Shamrock Public) born Ireland I know because I have checked out with the council on old maps etc that (Shamrock public)was not a kpub ther were however 2 pubs on the census and on the old map but not one of that name.can anyone offer me any help or advice please.
    cheer's Rebecca

Brick wall demolition expert!

Do you have Elizabeths birth cert to obtain mothers maiden name???
    Closest I can find is
    Elizabeth Sheehan-Jul-Aug-Sep 1860 -Neath-11a-424

scooter

yes that's her, my elizabeth. I have her birth certificate her mothers maiden name was Elleanor Sheehan formally (Welsh). I don't know whether patrick met Elleanor in wales and married? or they married in Ireland. Patrick was down as being 32 in 1861 and Elleanor(Ellen) as 26. their oldest son John as 5 Ellen as 3 Elizabeth as 9mths. John and Ellen born Myrthr Tidfill Elizabeth Aberavon?? any help??? Thanks Rebecca

janbooth

Can't find a marriage so far, but have you seen the 1911 census record of an Ellen SHEEHAN, aged 75, born Cork, widowed mother in law living with daughter and son in law Margaret & Rees EDWARDS in Vaynor, Glamorgan? Daughter Margaret is born in Merthyr c1877. Coincidentally, on Irish Genealogy website there is the baptism on 13 December 1835 at Skibbereen, Cork & Ross of an Ellenor WALSH.

This Ellen SHEEHAN is living in Merthyr in both the 1901 and 1891 census records with various children but shown as a widow. However, then I have difficulty in finding her before this census. Have to go out now, but will search some more later

Janet

Brick wall demolition expert!

Rees Edwards-Margaret Sheehan-Merthyr-T-JUne 1899-11a-1093

IF this is the same family a marriage cert would give you a fathers name and occupation...would help confirm if it was a sibling of Elizabeth..

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    I know very little about the sheehan side of my family. My gt grandmother was Elizabeth Sheehan born in Aberavon Wales in 1860. Her parents were Patrick and Elleanor(Ellen) both born in Ireland what part I don't know. In the 1861 Welsh census Patrick was 32, Elleanor 26, John aged 5, Ellen aged 3 and my Elizabeth aged 9mths John and Ellen were born in Mythr Tdfill but Ellen in Aberavon. I have checked other census dates but found nothing all it notes on the 1861 census isthey were living in Charlotte street.
    Hi Rebecca

Some news for you,...

Right, my 2nd Great Grandmother, Ellen (Mary-Ellen, DOB 1858) is the sister of your Great Grandmother Elizabeth Sheehan. Did Elizabeth marry Alfred Browning?

As mentioned in the above thread, Mary Ellen was widowed in 1900 when her husband Jeremiah Driscoll was killed at Cwmfelin Steelworks.

Also mentioned above is Skibereen - yes that is a direct link also.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Sarah

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Mary Ellen Sheehan

[QUOTE=sdjames1979;631429]Hi Rebecca

Mary Ellen Driscoll nee Sheehan B1859 was my Great Grand Mother. I have only just started to trace my family so only have a small amount of information do you know what happened to her after Jeremiah's tragic death in the Steelworks in 1900 please.

Look forward to hearing from you

Jane

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum, Jane.
    Have you looked for Mary Ellen on the 1901 census? If she had moved, it might show by then.
    Do you the names of her children?

Smile Mary Ellen Driscoll (nee Sheehan), Swansea

[QUOTE=JaneKokoch;675218]
    Quote Originally Posted by sdjames1979 View Post
    Hi Rebecca

Mary Ellen Driscoll nee Sheehan B1859 was my Great Grand Mother. I have only just started to trace my family so only have a small amount of information do you know what happened to her after Jeremiah's tragic death in the Steelworks in 1900 please.

Look forward to hearing from you

Jane
    Hi Jane

I have a fair amount of information if you want to contactly me directly (sdjames1979 {at} live.co.uk). Mary Ellen married again in 1906, but unfortunately her second husband died in 1909. Are you local to Swansea at all, I live approx 5 miles from the cemetery where they are buried. I also have a photo of Mary Ellen and Jeremiah. How are you linked to Mary Ellen and Jeremiah?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks

Sarah
    Last edited by Lesley Robertson; 24-10-2019 at 12:58 PM. Reason: email address deactivated as per TOC

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Wow Sarah that's great I'll send you an email shortly, would be lovely to have a photo of them both.

Cheers
    Jane

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast