MindfulRoz

Default Rev William DANCY/DANCEY b 1863 Co Cavan Irel

Seeking info or possible sources of info on above Rev William DANCY/DANCEY. I have his parents (William & Elizabeth Dancey of Co Cavan), & I have his marriage (1889 Santry, Dublin, to Alice Elizabeth CLARKE). From various directories, & the 1901 Irish census I have Rev Williams 3 children - Ethel Alice b about 1894 in Co Derry, Frances JM - (female) b about 1891 in Co Derry, & Francis JM (male) b about 1898 in Co Tyrone. (There may have been other still births/early infant deaths)

But I can't find William, Ethel or Frances in the 1911 census (Alice E is in Dublin & Francis JM is in boarding school). And I have tried using wild card searches in case the name is mis- transcribed).

There is some family speculation that Rev William had mental health problems & the family split up with Rev William possibly being in an institution for some time.
    Any one have any suggestions as to where/how I might demolish this brick wall?
    Thanks
    Roz
    Last edited by MindfulRoz; 08-05-2012 at 5:58 PM. Reason: mis spelling

Coromandel

Hi Roz

It looks like the family speculation might be right . . . the PRONI catalogue at

https://www.
    proni.gov.uk/index/search_the_archives/ecatalogue.htm

has a couple of mentions of the name Dancy including catalogue ref. DIO/4/32/A/5/5, dated 1894-1909 and described as

'Papers concerning the removal from the incumbency of Rev. William Dancy due to 'mental incapacity'. [24 items]

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by MindfulRoz View Post
    But I can't find William, Ethel or Frances in the 1911 census (Alice E is in Dublin & Francis JM is in boarding school).
    Is this Ethel, boarding in a school in Fitzwilliam, Dublin; recorded as age 17 and born in Londonderry? See here. The transcription has the surname as DANEY but it looks like DANCY on the image.

Brick wall demolition expert!

It was suggested on this other forum...

www.
    rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=596788.msg4468442;topicseen

... that William was in the Richmond Male Asylum in Dublin in the 1911 census. Are you not convinced?