Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mutley

Default How long have you been 'AT IT'?

Following a couple of recent conversations, with a newbie and an 'old timer' I wondered who might win the title
    of the BG member who has spent the longest time researching family history?

You may be 76 years old but only researching for a year or 36 years old and dabbling at it for twenty years.

I thought long and hard about placing this thread in General Chatter or General Family History Queries but finally decided that it is might be useful for a beginner to realise that the 'job' may be never ending.

BTW. I'm a beginner, only six years on the trail.

Allanah

10 years for me and still lots to do.

Allanah

Colin Rowledge

I'll never tell the truth - you all know that - so my 1st thought was when Moby Dick was a Guppie

In hindsight though, it was when I was going through letters and other papers of my mum who died in 2002 and my dad [aged 83 when mum died and he being illegitimate], it seemed logical to attempt to find his biological father.

In the 1070's I found out about dad's birth At that time the subject was taboo, but I dabbled and had 2 banker's boxes full of paper relating to what I thought was his birth.

So, to the members here, how long I have I been involved? Pick a date

Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

My son was in high school in 1995 and was given a project to produce a family tree.I only knew my parents details so phoned a cousin and she scribbled out most of what she had and the project was completed with 3 generations.Some months later i attended a seminar at the LDS centre,now 17 years and 1107 people later i am still at it.
    Eric

Knowledgeable and helpful

I started on my family in 1996, but because I hit a brickwall early on I started on a one-name study of TUSONs. I go back to my family and my wife's from time to time and usually manage to either knock out another brick or discover another intersting snippet.
    I get a real sense of achievement when I can link together seemingly separate TUSON lines - one day I may find a link for my family.
    David

AnnB

The only way I could verify the date I started on this lark was by looking at the date of the first certificate I bought......1977 So, about 35 years.......and I'm not even halfway there with a lot of my mob, even with the advent of 'modern' technology!

Thanks Mutley for making me feel old

Best wishes
    Ann

Thomasin

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    In the 1070's I found out about dad's birth .... So, to the members here, how long I have I been involved? Pick a date
    I would say that Colin definitely wins the gold cup!

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I began asking questions of Parents, the only source I knew in 1952. I think I may have been the first kid o get away with asking alot of questions in a time of chidren should be seen & not heard.
    Unable to 'check-em-out' until later I still kept a note of who said what about who.Wondered about a lot of thingsin the meanwhile.

Good hangin' in ther Colin. Are you tired yet?
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Thomasin View Post
    I would say that Colin definitely wins the gold cup!
    Proof galore that I can't proof read.

Thomasin

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    Proof galore that I can't proof read.
    An easy typo to make. I always remember reading (in 1986) an advertisement for a history teacher, to start in September 1086!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast