Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help please

Knowledgeable and helpful

Now here is a curious thing. My 4x Great grandfather William Stanton was codwainer/shoemaker and every record bar one records him as such (actually make that two the 1861 census has him as a carter but as he was 69 by then he could have retire from the shoe trade). That record is the 1851 census in which he is down as a Coal merchant. As (after a lot of research) I have come to the conclusion that no coal merchants of that name were in the town at that period I greatly suspect that is was an error by the original transcriber, possibly due to the decline of the term "cordwainer", so that it was mis-heard or mis-understood.

drmike789

Thanks for the helpful replies.

With so many possibilities, it does seem looking at the original is the best way forward. They were married in Alnwick Register Office. How would I go about accessing the record?

Would it help if I uploaded the full certificate so there are letters with which to compare the handwriting?

Regards, Mike

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by drmike789 View Post
    With so many possibilities, it does seem looking at the original is the best way forward. They were married in Alnwick Register Office. How would I go about accessing the record?
    Hi Mike

Drat! Register Office marriage registers aren't usually accessible to the public: you would I think have to cough up another £10 to get a copy of the certificate from the local registrar. They don't usually supply photographic copies of the originals, unfortunately, so you still may not get to see what it said in the original register. It might be worth contacting the Alnwick Register Office first and explaining the situation and asking if there's any way they could check the occupation for you.

https://www.
    northumberland.gov.uk/default.aspx?page=3480

Quote Originally Posted by drmike789 View Post
    Would it help if I uploaded the full certificate so there are letters with which to compare the handwriting?
    I have a vague memory that we aren't supposed to post images of whole certificates because of copyright. But perhaps it would be OK to upload some of the rest of it. I am sure one of our moderators could say Yea or Nay.

MarkJ

As you say, a full image isn't permitted, but say a half which will help to compare the writing is fine

Mutley

I've tried to take a quick look for Thomas prior to his marriage.
    I've found a possible (though there are quite a few with his name in London) in Church Street, Tower Hamlets
    unfortunately, father was a labourer. Next door was a shoemaker, not that that helps.

The point of this post is that looking further along the page there is a George and Edward Porter and their occupation looks very similar to that which you have posted. A four letter word beginning with 'G' followed by the initial of 'm' for the next word.
    I still cannot figure out what it could be but tomorrow I will see if I can trace the Porter's to find out what their occupation was.

Unless another member can make it out.
    1841: HO107/728, Book 8, Folio 9, Page 12
    (records held by TNA, Crown copyright)

AnnB

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    The point of this post is that looking further along the page there is a George and Edward Porter and their occupation looks very similar to that which you have posted. A four letter word beginning with 'G' followed by the initial of 'm' for the next word.
    I still cannot figure out what it could be but tomorrow I will see if I can trace the Porter's to find out what their occupation was.

Unless another member can make it out.
    1841: HO107/728, Book 8, Folio 9, Page 12
    (records held by TNA, Crown copyright)
    Mutley, I think think the Porters' occupation reads "Gun m" followed by a J for Journeyman.

Best wishes
    Ann

Reputation beyond repute

I have a vague memory that we aren't supposed to post images of whole certificates because of copyright.
    If it's not permitted, it's not because of crown copyright which has been waived for BMD certificates (unless the subject is still alive)

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/d...rtificates.pdf

drmike789

Wow, thanks to everyone for the time you've taken and suggestions made. I've been offline a few days hence the delay in writing.

As you say, there's quite a few Thomases, so it makes it difficult to find the right one without more information. I'd not found the 1841 one that you did, Mutley, but there are a few others that fit the bill also. A gun manufacturer in the family would be interesting.

I contacted the GRO directly. Very helpful on the phone. They have asked someone to look at their copy and advise me if they can decipher the occupation. I'll let you know their response. (I decided against keep ordering copies until I got a good one. It might have still been illegible.)

drmike789

The GRO replied today:

"We have checked the entry, and the Rank or Profession of Father (Groom) appears to read Coal Meter."

Coromandel, your first suggestion appears to be right, although they do only say it appears to be coal meter. But well done.

I found this link on this site: https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...550-Coal-Meter

Regards, Mike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12