Prussian

Default Battle of Trafalgar

My earliest known ancester, Charles William MARTIN, served on HMS ACHILLE at the Battle of Trafalgar.
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/t...ils.asp?id=338

Please advise if this is not deemed the most appropriate forum to share this information.

Famous for offering help & advice

I thought I would join a a lonely Trafalgar veteran.

I have Peter Sampson Hambly in my tree, who was apparently on the 'Prince' under Captain Grindall.
    Survived an interesting naval career but was killed when his phaeton overturned in a Devon country lane.

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

Might as well join the band of brothers. On Dad's side I have a mid-shipman on the Ajax (Weather Column) and on Mum's side several shipwrights at Sheerness who helped build the Ployphemus (Lee Column).
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

Our Dad had told us we had an ancestor who was with Nelson .. Name of Peter Parker and I have found him on HMS Defence at Trafalgar but how can I see if he had a medal . On the page it says The Men of Trafalgar Medal Roll then I cant see where it says for sure he gets one can any one help ? thanks

Hi, I have a relative called James Trevarrow who was on HMS Achille. Any advice on how to research him would be most appreciated!

hi, no doubt you woud know this much already

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/t...rs/results.asp

sorry, when I copied-in that link it was to the Trevarrow page, but I think is just the search page now

Thanks, yes have seen that one. I think as a lowly private there is not much about him in other records

Find My Past has 15 separate entries for James Trevarrow in a file "British Royal Navy & Royal Marines Service And Pension Records, 1704-1919", all with the date 1813 - but I don't have a subscription to FMP so I don't know what they all contain.

They also have a James Trevarrow in a file "1842-52 British Army Service Records".

a James Trevarrow died in Liskeard, Cornwall in 1848. Would that be your man ? On investigation, no it wouldn't be, because the GRO index says that that James Trevarrow was one year old at death.

Sounds promising- will sign on for a month tomorrow and see what they say

Quote Originally Posted by Chelstondave View Post
    Sounds promising- will sign on for a month tomorrow and see what they say
    I hope it's worth your while, I guess it might contain very little information. I'm not remotely an expert in these matters, even though it says "knowledgeable" under my name !!!!!