Thread: Tower Of London

Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Tower Of London

Can any one tell me if there are records from the Tower of London. I have a relative Alexander Bain who served at the Tower of London possibly as a beefeater in 1881.
    Any suggestions welcome
    ELMA

Reputation beyond repute

I have a relative Alexander Bain who served at the Tower of London possibly as a beefeater in 1881.
    Where did you get that from please? If census, what's the reference?

If this is what you need, this will give you a start

https://yourarchives.nationalarchives...Yeoman_Warders

Coromandel

Given that it says in another recent thread of yours that Alexander was in the Royal Fusiliers, I wonder if your best bet is to try the Royal Fusiliers Archive at the Tower of London:

https://www.
    hrp.org.uk/TowerOfLondon/stories/RoyalFusiliersArchive

as well as investigating what's at Kew.

Thanks Peter and Coromandel
    I got the information from Alexander's army records where it states that during his 23 years service he was at the Tower of London in late 1881. Family folklore says he was a beefeater. He was at this time a sergeant of Musketry. I will follow up your suggestions and keep you informed.
    Thanks again Elma

Reputation beyond repute

during his 23 years service he was at the Tower of London in late 1881. Family folklore says he was a beefeater.
    Well he couldn't be both. "Beefeater" is a retirement job.

Normal troops were stationed at the Tower. Have a look at the 1881 census. London -> Precinct of St Katherine -> Tower of London.

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    . . . it says in another recent thread of yours that Alexander was in the Royal Fusiliers
    But the army records for the Alexander Bain who married Martha Lewis (and whose 1881 details are in post #15 of the other thread) appear to be for a different regiment.

Not being very clever about army regiments. It says Alexander entered army service on 5th April 1864, then transferred to 1st Battalion 7th Foot on 31 July 1867. He was an Instructor at the School of Musketry 1872 and transferred to the5th New Royal Fusillers 1st May 1882. He was discharged on 18th Oct 1887.
    The FMP record has also 42nd Foot at the top but I cant see that recorded, perhaps this is the regiment he started in.
    Does that help me?
    ELMA

Coromandel

The library computer crashed so I didn't get to the end of the record on FMP and didn't see the bit about the transfer to the 7th Foot. Sorry if I worried you: false alarm!

If you intend to look for Alexander in pay books / muster rolls etc. at Kew then you will need to know which units he was in at which dates, so scrutinise those papers on FMP for every little detail.

BMcAleer

I have birth certificate of a relative born at the Martin Tower; her father is listed as a quartermaster Royal Engineers, really cool. Get all of the certs. One may have a clue. Good luck!