Thread: James Nimmo

spison

Default James Nimmo

This may be futile but...
    James Nimmo was a Presbyterian minister. During the 1850s and early 1860s he worked in the Hunter Valley, NSW, Australia. He presided over my ancestor's third marriage in a private house in either Newcastle or Maitland. (The first two marriages were made before compulsory registration in NSW.) The NSW BDM registration has not recorded parents and his descendants would love to know who they were. Unfortunately James Nimmo left NSW shortly after this and on google I have traced him to Victoria, Canada, by 1863.

HE TOOK HIS REGISTER WITH HIM! I have tried St Andrew's Archives in Australia and the SAG church register records and neither have a record of the existence of Nimmo's register. I'm not particularly interested in the man and know the chance of finding the register is 'Buckley's and none' but thought I might ask advice - 'cause I need it! Is there any hope?
    Jane

Hugh Thompson

Hi Jane, have you had a look at these two books from the Internet Archives? the first one is very comprehensive and indexed,
    Centenary history of the Presbyterian Church in New South Wales - Cameron, James, 1826-1905

I haven't had a look at the second one as yet,

A jubilee history of the Presbyterian Church of Victoria; or, the rise and progress of Presbyterianism from the foundation of the colony to 1888 - Hamilton, R. W
    Good luck,
    Hugh.

Hugh Thompson

James Nimmo is mentioned on page 275 of the first book, will have a look at the other.
    Hugh.

spison

Thanks for that Hugh. Your first reference clarified his church of which I wasn't certain as he seemed to move around the lower Hunter considerably. I did a second search for St Andrew's, Newcastle, but nothing turned up on SAG. The actual message from St Andrew's (Sydney) archives was that they had no record of Nimmo's register. The SAG lists for the Presbyterian Church are under the names of the ministers - quite different from the Catholic or Anglican churches that are listed by church. There's a lot in Trove about Nimmo's resignation but I doubt that the second book will help as I think he left from NSW straight to Canada.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Thompson View Post
    Good luck, Hugh.
    Thanks!
    Jane