Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Maki2000

Default 1881 Census lookup

Could someone help,I'm looking for a John Hutton/William Hutton in the 1881 census. He married a Sarah Reynolds she is in the 1881 census as being married but their marriage took place 20th Aug 1881 Worcester he was a Hawker an advice.

Famous for offering help & advice

Do you have a DOB for John/William? Where was he born? Any other info,parents,siblings?

Reputation beyond repute

she is in the 1881 census
    Please provide the standard National Archives census reference for the entry that you have found. We need to look at it.

Maki2000

Sarah hutton nee Reynolds was born 1864 Bridgnorth Shropshire 1881 cenus Class: RG11; Piece: 2800; Folio: 59; Page: 15.
    John Hutton born 1855 Halesowen Worcestershire profession Hawker, father was fruiterer
    Last edited by Jan1954; 21-04-2012 at 5:26 AM. Reason: GSU roll number deleted as it is copyright

Coromandel

I can only see the FamilySearch transcript of the 1881 census, which has this Sarah Hutton shown as aged 20 (i.e. born about 1861 not 1864) 'lodger's wife'.

I wonder if it is significant that the person immediately before her is also a Hutton, lodger, married, aged 28. The only snag is that this person is transcribed as a female called Louisa. Could this be a transcription error? Is this really Sarah's husband? Perhaps someone who can see the original can check.

What addresses were given for John and Sarah on their marriage certificate, and have you checked these addresses on the 1881 census to see who's there?

P.S. welcome to the forum

Coromandel

For anyone else searching, this looks like a list of their children, from a post on another forum:

https://
    archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/ENG-WORCESTER/2006-05/1148690033

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    I wonder if it is significant that the person immediately before her is also a Hutton, lodger, married, aged 28. The only snag is that this person is transcribed as a female called Louisa. Could this be a transcription error? Is this really Sarah's husband? Perhaps someone who can see the original can check.
    Well it definitely says Louisa age 28 etc BUT on the schedule the '28' has been crossed through and someone's tried to rub it out before transferring the number to the female column. It certainly looks as though a back-room clerk could have made an assumption based on the name.
    Last edited by malcolm99; 21-04-2012 at 7:04 AM. Reason: changed has to could have

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by Maki2000 View Post
    John Hutton born 1855 Halesowen Worcestershire profession Hawker, father was fruiterer

1881 Census: RG11 Piece 2885 fol. 88 p. 32

If it's of any help there is a William H Hutton, Head, married, 32, FRUITERER, born Halesowen, Worcs living in Hagley Street in Halesowen.
    Emma, wife, 33, shoe binder, born Leominster
    William H, son, 10 born Halesowen
    Catherine L(?), daughter, 8 born Halesowen
    Edith, daughter, 6 born Halesowen
    John E, son, 4, born,Halesowen
    Mary M, daughter, 1, born Halesowen
    Henry Wolley, Father-in-Law, 62, shoemaker, born Leominster

Maybe a brother?

He’s also on the following censuses>
    1851: HO107 Piece 2034 fol. 286 p. 10 (Halesowen)
    1861: RG9 Piece 2063 fol. 61 p. 17 (Hasbury?)
    1871: RG10 Piece 3020 fol. 81 p. 21(Halesown)

Unfortunately there’s no Louisa, John or Sarah listed on the same censuses.

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Maki2000 View Post
    Sarah hutton nee Reynolds was born 1864 Bridgnorth Shropshire . . .
    John Hutton born 1855 Halesowen Worcestershire profession Hawker
    It looks like these details of ages and birthplaces come from the 1891 census when (from what I can see from the index on FamilySearch) these people were in Worcester. In 1901 I think they are in Gloucester, but the head of household is then shown as William and both he and his wife Sarah are considerably younger than one would expect (33 and 31 respectively). Unless this is a different family who have children of same names/ages. Without access to the census images I can't see the full households to compare them in 1891 and 1901.

Coromandel

Two of the daughters, Harriet (who married Charles Powell) and Florence (who married Herbert Griffiths) emigrated to Australia according to

https://www.
    thisiswherearetheynow.co.uk/print_message.asp?messageid=4470

which includes a nice photo sent to 'Aunty Harriet from twins and Mammy'.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast