Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Jacismith

Hi, Robert William Amos Porter is my great great grandfather. His daughter Frances Smith nee Porter affectionately known as Peg is my great grandmother. Peg married Reginald Smith and they lived in New Farm Brisbane. We are searching for pictures and more information on the Porters per immigration to Australia. Feel free to contact me.

Heather

Ok...a bit of confusion here. Are you the "friend of Anamarja" who was originally looking for this man?? And do you have any idea where he could be from in the West Indies?? There are many many islands. Thanks.

Jacismith

Hi, no I don't know Anamarja. I'll have a guess that her friend is a descendant of Billy Porter from Banyo which is my great grandmother Peg's brother. I have the same death certificate, all it says is Robert Porter was from Santa Cruz West Indies and his occupation was a bag merchant. I have a lot of information from a descendant of the Mohr line which was Robert's wife, but the West Indies trail is very very light unfortunately.

Heather

Quote Originally Posted by Jacismith View Post
    Hi, no I don't know Anamarja. I'll have a guess that her friend is a descendant of Billy Porter from Banyo which is my great grandmother Peg's brother. I have the same death certificate, all it says is Robert Porter was from Santa Cruz West Indies and his occupation was a bag merchant. I have a lot of information from a descendant of the Mohr line which was Robert's wife, but the West Indies trail is very very light unfortunately.
    OK, thanks. I had to clear that up first. And as you have seen, the West Indian records are good in the bigger Islands but for the small ones, not terrific. And "Santa Cruz" is not all that uncommon in the Spanish language, so could be anywhere that the Spanish conquered.

I am also on a Forum/List for the West Indies and frankly, the experts on the Islands are there. Have a look on Rootsweb for the Caribbean List if you want to try that, but not holding out much hope for a trail.

Good luck and a Merry Christmas!!

anamarja

Thanks Heather and Jaci. I'll pass that on to my daughter's mother-in-law.

Jacismith

Hi Heather, thanks for the info. My Dad and I are planning to visit the West Indies one day perhaps by then we will have a few more leads. I did find some info on Porters Plantation in Barbados, it is a new lead which I will investigate further. I have no doubt that one day we will find something, and with some luck find a photo of Robert William Porter. Merry Christmas too! Jaci Smith

Jacismith

I'm just doing a bit of thinking, and I'm thinking Margaret will know my dad Barry Smith. If it is the right Margaret, they spent time in Bowral 2 years ago visiting my Aunty Kathleen before she passed. It's a small world if it is.

Heather

Sure is a small world!! Now you have a new relative as a Christmas present, lol. If either of you get to the Carib list, Ernest Wiltshire is yr man!! IIRC, he is a wizard with Bajan (Barbados) records.

Default Robert William Amos Porter

Hello,
    I hope you are still checking this forum. There are several areas within the Caribbean known as/previously known as Santa Cruz. Please post the links to the death and marriage certificates. It is always best to view the image. Additionally, there is an area in Jamaica called Santa Cruz where a number of Porter’s can be found. It is possible this person is from there.

Regards,

TP0121

Quote Originally Posted by anamarja View Post
    My friend's ancestor, Robert William Amos Porter, died in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia in 1942. On both his death certificate and his marriage certificate (he was married in Brisbane in 1897), his birth is noted as having been in Santa Cruz, West Indies. His birth would have been about 1869. His father's name is given as Robert William Porter. Can anyone help with finding actual details of his birth and his family?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello TP0121,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

This would seem to be the general page about researching in Queensland.
    https://www.qld.gov.au/law/births-de...hints-and-tips

You then need to click the link in the 'how to search' section.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12