sueannbowen

Default Understanding IGI Batch Numbers

Hmmm I am searching for the baptism of an Elizabeth Hugh(e)s in St Mary Lambeth early 1800's. Old Familysearch has one in 1802 but the batch number looks odd - it is I048655 rather than beginning with a C which I am more used to. Is this significant? when I tried to find the baptism in the online register with a paying site it is there for that year, but the month of March when this event took -place is not. Also the transcription on the IGI looks different.

If anyone has five minutes to spare to look at this and see whether there is anything odd about this entry I would be grateful. It is not member submitted. Is it perhaps a Bishop[s Transcript?

Mutley

It says it is from "England, Births and Christenings, 1538-1975,"
    Not sure if this article will help

sueannbowen

Thanks Mutters when I went to Batch Number Descriptions it simply said Index. But the whole article was very helpful and I have bookmarked it for further use.

Coromandel

When you're trying to work out the source of the information the LDS film number can be more revealing than the batch number. The baptism entry on the new FamilySearch site gives the film number as 1041634.

If you put this into the FamilySearch 'Catalog' it describes this film number as 'Parish registers of St. Mary's Church, Lambeth, 1754-1928'. The title is a clickable link to this useful page, from which it appears that film 1041634 has 'Baptisms, 1870-1877 and Baptisms in the general lying-in hospital, 1794-1813'.

Perhaps these lying-in hospital records are in a separate register? It might be worth checking Ancestry to see if they have anything that sounds like 'Baptisms in the general lying-in hospital, 1794-1813'.

sueannbowen

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    When you're trying to work out the source of the information the LDS film number can be more revealing than the batch number. The baptism entry on the new FamilySearch site gives the film number as 1041634.

If you put this into the FamilySearch 'Catalog' it describes this film number as 'Parish registers of St. Mary's Church, Lambeth, 1754-1928'. The title is a clickable link to this useful page, from which it appears that film 1041634 has 'Baptisms, 1870-1877 and Baptisms in the general lying-in hospital, 1794-1813'.

Perhaps these lying-in hospital records are in a separate register? It might be worth checking Ancestry to see if they have anything that sounds like 'Baptisms in the general lying-in hospital, 1794-1813'.
    Thanks Coromandel I will also check the non-parochial as they have some lying in Hospital registers. Good info!

Coromandel

If you browse Ancestry's 'London, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1812' collection it appears that there are two registers for St Mary at Lambeth with coverage for 1802. One spans 1794-1813 and the other 1797-1812.

The latter sounds like it is probably what is described in LMA's 'London Generations' catalogue as:

'Composite register: bapt 1797-1812, Stockwell Chap 1798-1812, Whouse 1804&1812, bur 1797-1812'

whereas the former covers the right dates to be the lying-in hospital register. So it may be on Ancestry after all?

Reputation beyond repute

The LMA catalogue is online. If it helps, the reference for "Register of baptisms at the General Lying-In Hospital, York Road, Lambeth" Jan 1794-Dec 1813 is P85/MRY1/378 . Ancestry make an effort to show the original reference although they don't always get it right.