Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    AliWill

Default Doe Family Research

Hi Everybody,this is My first post and I would First Like to say it is Lovely to be with You All.What I would Like to ask,is can Anyone help Me with My Family Research,by giving Me any Information on My Great Grandfather William Doe.He was born in 1878,at Thorney Hill Hampshire,He had a Brother named Henri and was Married to Edith,I think Her maiden Name was Pitman.I have been told that He owned the Site known as New England,which I believe was at East Howe,Bournemouth.I know there has been a big Doe Family connection wih Alton in Hampshire,but I do not know if that is another branch of the Family ,or if there is a connection.I would be Very Grateful for any Information Supplied,Thanking You All in Anticipation.Kind Regards

janbooth

I don't know if you have any census records, but in case not William and wife Edith are in the 1901 census of Holdenhurst, Hampshire:

RG13/1038, folio 89, page 14
    In a Tent on Holdenhurst Common

William DOE Head M 23 Licensed Hawker Hants Thorney Hill
    Edith do Wife M 22 do do
    William do Son S 3 do Bransgore

The 1911 census shows them in East Howe, Dorset with additional children John & George. They are shown to have been married 14 years and had 6 children, three of whom are still living.

1891 census of Bransgore, Hampshire (RG12/907, folio 109, page 14) shows William living with parents John, aged 45, General Labourer, born Devon & Louisa, aged 36 born Hythe, Hants and siblings Alfred 17, Job 13 (who is living next door to William in the 1901 census), Mary? 11, Harriet 7, John? 9, Bertie 5, Annie 3 & Edith 3 months. The question marked names are because half of their names are obliterated in the census record.

I can't find the family in the 1881 census at the moment - perhaps they were travelling but I will keep looking. I also cannot find an appropriate marriage registration for William & Edith but, as they were travellers, their marriage was probably not registered.

Janet

Cenus records courtesy TNA

georgiep

Welcome aboard

Tinam

Mutley

Welcome to the forum.
    I don't know if you have seen this website, it mentions the New England site but says it was common land.
    https://
    westhowe.net/#/west-howe-gypsy-heritage/4544803920

If you click on the link to Ray Wells website there is lots of interesting Roma information.

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    I don't know if you have any census records, but in case not William and wife Edith are in the 1901 census of Holdenhurst, Hampshire:

Edith do Wife M 22 do do

Job (who is living next door to William in the 1901 census),
    Janet

There are three tents of Doe families,
    William, Edith and son William.
    Job and Jane with children Mary, John H. and Amelia
    Henry and Patience with children Alice, Patience and Henry.

Might be able to track one of the other families in 1881 to see if they were close by.

janbooth

A bit more information on Job & Jane DOE:

IGI Family Search has the baptism of 2 of their children, John Henry DOE on 2 May 1897 at Talbot Village, Dorset parents Job & Jane Sabina and Milly on 10 September 1899 at Selborne, Hampshire parents Job & Jane. There is a Family Tree on Ancestry for Job/Jack DOE which states he married Jane Sabina JEFF in the June qtr 1895 at Christchurch reg district. It also gives details of his father but this leads back to a John DOE married to a Mary who was born c1842 at Alton, Hampshire living in a Gypsy Tent in Stratfieldsaye, Hampshire, according to the 1881 census, with children Frank aged 11, Job aged 8 and Harry aged 7 so am unsure as to whether this is the same John DOE I found in the 1891 census.

Henry and Patience DOE are in the 1911 census of Poole in the parish of Kinson in a Gypsy Encampment together with children Alice, Patience, Henry, Liberty, Nelson & William. Alice & Patience were born in Basingstoke, Henry in Surrey and sons Liberty, Nelson & William in Bucks. They have been married 16 years and had 8 children, 7 of whom are still alive. Family Search has the baptism of a George DOE on 17 August 1908 at Odiham Hampshire, parents Henry & Patience. It looks as if Henry & Patience remained in Kinson as daughter Patience married a John COOPER on 5 August 1918 (full details on Ancestry Dorset marriages).

The John & Louisa DOE I found in the 1891 census of Bransgore are in Sopley in the 1911 census. John is shown as aged 69, Farm Labourer, born Wimborne, Dorset as is wife Louisa shown as aged 49. Living with them are son Joby aged 27, single, born Bransgore?, daughter Edith aged20, single, born Liphook?, daughter Nell, aged 18, single, born Petersfield?, daughter Rose, aged 16, single, born Sopley? and grand daughter Queenie, aged 1, born Christchurch?. John & Louisa have been married 28 years, had 12 children ten of whom are still living. I am not sure how this Joby fits in with the Job DOE I found in Holdenhurst in the 1901 census who is married to Jane nor with the Job who is living with John & Louisa in the 1891 census - ages do not seem to fit nor places of birth.

I can't find Job & Jane in the 1911 census, however, so I am not sure whether any of this helps you at all or merely confuses the matter further and I still cannot find any of them in the 1881 census with any certainty.

Obtaining the marriage certificate of Job & Jane might help you as it should give some details of Job's father & his occupation which might clarify which John DOE is which. If you have an Ancestry subscription, you could also contact the owner of the Tree I mentioned earlier.

Janet

Census records courtesy TNA

Coromandel

The Romany Genes website is packed with information, including details from many BMD certificates. Here is the page with birth certificates for surnames beginning with 'D':

romanygenes.webeden.co.uk/#/certs-bmd-d-birth/4534011348

There are births there for Job Doe (3 May 1872, Hampton, Middlesex) and Henry Doe (20 May 1874, Stratfieldsaye, Hants), sons of John Doe, basket maker, and Mercy (Lee). (Unfortunately there's not one for a William Doe with the same parents.)

Also see this page (first entry in right-hand column) for the 1871 census transcript for John Doe (23, basket maker, born Alderbourne, Hampshire) and Mercy Lee (19, hawker and pedler, born Seneham, Berkshire) with a 9 month old son Francis Doe (b. Walton, Surrey) at St Mary Bourne, Hampshire:

romanygenes.webeden.co.uk/#/18611871-census/4522533901

(ref. RG 10/1238, f.38, p.9). A note by the transcriber says 'New Barn Down, camped with Gallin (Goliath) Doe & Mary Ann Draper)'.

janbooth

Well found, Coromandel, and what a fascinating site which I have now bookmarked! So, it looks as if Job & Henry could be the children of the John & Mary? DOE I found in Stratfieldsaye in the 1881 census, but in that case who does William belong to? Although, having said that, from the same site is the baptism on 4 August 1879 at Yateley of William DOE, parents William & Louisa nee SMITH, Gypsy and a baptism on 15 September at Binsted of Job DOE son of John & Louisa, Basket Maker which fits in with the family I found at Bransgore in the 1891 census - but no Henry baptised to this couple. Could it be that Louisa & Mercy SMITH are one and the same person or that Mercy died and John married Louisa (perhaps Mercy's sister?). No, the latter suggestion cannot be correct as John & Louisa had a child Mary Ann baptised on 1 September 1872. I wonder if they are one and the same family as John seems to vary between William & John and Mercy between Mercy & Louisa but the two never seem to overlap. I can't find a John & Louisa in the census records prior to 1891 but there is a John & Mercy (or Mary) in the 1871 & 1881 census records who then seem to disappear. More research needed to prove this speculation!

William & Edith's children also appear on the site that Coromandel has found, so should prove invaluable to you in your research.

Janet

AliWill

To Love and be Loved is to feel the Sun from Both Sides.Hi Janet Thank You So much For Your Time and effort,and the Information was Fantastic.Kind regards Phil.
    Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post

Edith do Wife M 22 do do

The 1911 census shows them in East Howe, Dorset with additional children John & George. They are shown to have been married 14 years and had 6 children, three of whom are still living.

1891 census of Bransgore, Hampshire (RG12/907, folio 109, page 14) shows William living with parents John, aged 45, General Labourer, born Devon & Louisa, aged 36 born Hythe, Hants and siblings Alfred 17, Job 13 (who is living next door to William in the 1901 census), Mary? 11, Harriet 7, John? 9, Bertie 5, Annie 3 & Edith 3 months. The question marked names are because half of their names are obliterated in the census record.

I can't find the family in the 1881 census at the moment - perhaps they were travelling but I will keep looking. I also cannot find an appropriate marriage registration for William & Edith but, as they were travellers, their marriage was probably not registered.

Janet

AliWill

Hi Mutley.Thank You So Much for the Information it was Fantastic.Really enjoyed the Website.Kind Regards Phil

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast