Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Coromandel

It's fascinating looking at these very mobile people and trying to work out the connections . . . not so easy when they don't go through formal marriage ceremonies, so we don't have have that bit of paper giving fathers' names, and wives are sometimes listed by their husband's surname but sometimes under their maiden name.

I see that there's a very long thread on another forum about the Doe family:

https://www.
    rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,341057.0.html

I haven't read all 10 pages to see if your Does are mentioned, Phil, but there are certainly references to Goliath Doe and his numerous offspring, among them Ocean Doe. (What wonderful names! I do wish I had some ancestors with names like that.)

janbooth

Yes, it does put to shame George SMITH son of John son of John son of Richard, doesn't it! I got hooked with Romanies when helping another Forum member research her several Romany lines and it proved fascinating if very elusive. Good luck with the rest of your research, Phil, and if we can help further do not hesitate to ask.

Janet

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Family Names

Dear All,
    You should be proud of your name whatever it is.My family name is DOE, I have several ancestors with names like Ocean Job, Goliath.etc
    Can ask for help.I am doing my family tree and have got s to 1725 Francis Doe.Has anyone got any idea who his father was,the nearest I have got is 1709 that means his father was about 16 when he was born.
    Thank you,
    Michael Doe

janbooth

Can you give us a bit more background information about your family tree, Michael, such as where did your Francis DOE hail from and how you managed to trace him back. The more information you can give us, the easier it should be to trace them - theoretically at least!!

Janet

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

HI Janet,
    thanks for your letter. My Francis Doe was born in 1791 and was married to Elizabeth. He was born in Wimbledon Surrey. His father was also called Francis and was born about 1725 his wife was called Ann (Robertson/Robinson)
    I cant find any details about father his dates must be about 1680/1700.
    Michael

janbooth

Right, I can find the marriage at Mortlake on 10 August 1765 of a Francis DOE & an Ann ROBERTSON. So far so good. I can then find a baptism at Bramley, Surrey on 29 June 1766 of a Francis son of Francis DOE and a baptism at East Clandon, Surrey on 19 February 1769 of a Thomas son of Francis & Ann DOE - source Ancestry's Surrey Parish Registers. However, so far I have been unable to find the baptism at Wimbledon c1791 of a Francis son of Francis & Ann DOE. Can you tell me how you obtained this baptismal record for Francis, please, and the dates of the baptisms of Francis & Elizabeth's children. That might enable me to trace him more easily.

Janet

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Janet,
    Please can you tell where I can obtain BMDs prior to 1700 or any other ways to find out people's parents.I am working on your last letter I will contact you soon
    Michael

janbooth

Hi Michael,

You have to look at parish register records of baptisms, marriages and burials prior to when registration began in September 1837. This can get more difficult the further back you go and unless the particular parish registers you require are online, you probably have to go to the appropriate record office or order them in to view at your nearest LDS Family History Centre. Wills are another good source of information, always assuming your ancestors were wealthy enough to have something to leave! Many Record Offices/Archives also have online catalogues which again can be a good source of information. The website FreeReg have many transcriptions of parish register records as does Family Search website and Family Search are in the process of putting actual parish registers online, but this is definitely work in progress. Ancestry and FindmyPast (both subscription websites) have certain parish register images online and many Family History Societies sell parish register transcription cds and can have online catalogues. Really, it is a question of searching online for the particular parishes you are interested, in to see what is available. Janet

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Janet,
    Francis Doe(son of Francis senior) was born in 1758,died in 1843, but was christened in 1769 aged 11.
    Still working on the rest speak soon.
    Michael

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

HI Janet
    For Francis Doe read FRANES Doe christening date read 1766 making age at christening 8
    Michael

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast