Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Bakers mentioned in Old Bailey records

Hi

Old bailey had following records:

Bakery (29)
    Bread (5113)
    Baker (7897)

I had a particular interest as my ancestor Caroline McCARTHY was sent to Australia 7 Years for stealing 9 loaves on account the property of Mary & William TIBBY who had a Bakery on King st Holburn (Covent Garden)

There are many mentions of bakers, bread etc

https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/brow...RTHY#highlight

"1193. CAROLINE Mc CARTHY was indicted for stealing, on the 18th of April , nine loaves of bread, value 6s. , the goods of Mary Tibby .

MARY TIBBY . The prisoner called on me and got these loaves for Stevenson, who is a customer of mine; I do not know that she came on the 18th of April - she came several times and got several loaves from time to time, and stated herself to be Stevenson's servant.

GEORGE STEVENSON. The prisoner had been one week charwoman to me in January last, but was not in my service in April - I never sent her to get these loaves.

Prisoner. I was in great distress, out of a situation, and would not turn into the street; I took the bread in her name - I throw myself on your mercy.

GUILTY . Aged 18. - Transported for Seven Years ."
    Last edited by ianfinlay_aus; 28-09-2018 at 5:48 AM. Reason: more qualified information

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by shiraleen View Post
    Hi Richard
    I don't know whether this message will reach you but fingers crossed. I was interested to read your post about your ancestor Richard Goodey being a baker . You said that in 1891 he was living with his wife Mary Ann in St. Pancras with their children and still working as a Baker.
    The reason I am interested is that I have German ancestors who lived in London for about 2-3 years before migrating here to Australia. He ( Frederich Menges) was also was a baker and I know at the time of his marriage in 1882 was living at 33 Warren st, District of St Pancras.
    Do you know whether bakeries were 1 man operations back then ? Perhaps our ancestors had dealings with each other.
    Also I note that John died of pneumonia. I suppose you are aware that there was a particular disease that effected bakers lungs ( cause by inhaling the flour ). My ancestor also died of this disease at a relatively young age
    regards
    Louise Kemp
    Louise Kemp - Do you have Alfred Edward Ulric Good and his father John Samuel Good in your line. Alfred born 1830 in India and Samuel and Alfred died in Australia. jewelly66atyahoodotcom

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12