Thread: hi there!

Alicat

Default hi there!

Hi! I'm Lisa and I have just started doing my family tree, it is something I have meant to start for a good few years but have only just got around to. I have a trial for ancestry and tbh am hooked!! I'm really struggling where my granddad's (dad's dad) family is concerned because my granddad used his mother's maiden name, his siblings use their dad's name, don't think parents ever married and without her first initial I can't seem to find anything but I'm not going to let it beat me!! My dad, uncle and aunt don't talk due to a fall out so can't go asking them without upsetting my parents. This side of my family is what I'm most interested in atm because it's my surname but because of the trouble I'm having I'm putting some time into my nan's (dad's mum) family, I'm always told I am very much like she was so learning more about them will be good. Dad saw his uncle last week who gave him loads of info he can't remember so will have to arrange to meet up for a cuppa and take a notebook and pen.

Looking fwd to chatting to like minded people.

Procat

Greetings Alicat and welcome to Brit_Gen.

Ah yes. Lots of like minded people here. A tip for when you visit your Dad's uncle. Don't just take paper and pen - take a recording device. It is amazing what you can miss when trying to write down and listen at the same time.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hey there Lisa, Dougs' suggestion very good, also if your Dad's Uncle is in the same place as has been for some time, try local knowledge as well, Padres, nosy (helpful) neighbours local vendors etc. Amazing what may be out there.
    Same re the Aunt & Uncle who don't talk with your Dad, are you to be denied relationships because of who knows what?
    A gentle, perhaps accidental getting to know them may even lead to a reconciliation.

Oh heck,wouldn't it be nice if everyone 'got on'?
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Alicat

thanks everyone! came home from parents with a bag full of certificates, old photos, my granddad's service record which has his name as F R G Abel with the Abel scribbled out and Kavaney written in plus a NI number scrubbed out and replaced, could that NI no be linked to his use of Abel as his surname? I guess that he may have used Abel at some point or it wouldn't be on that document. Mum has her family tree on paper back to 1500s I think it is so have that which I'm going to sift through and input to my ancestry tree will double check the data and fill in the blanks hopefully. Handfull of titbits of info including that my great granddad on my mums side was a spy in the war and my granddad whose family is giving me jiff went AWOL from the navy for 6 days what he did I don't know. Any how I'm rambling! with my relatives erm yer well we'll see what happens lol I think I need a blog to put down my theories so when I find facts I can look back and see how wrong I was lol

Starting to feel at home

Hi Alicat and welcome,
    Glad to hear you've got a bagful of photos: they are a wonderful prompt for reminiscences when talking to older relatives but unless you have a written record of who is in them you may be at a total loss at a later date.
    Happy searching,
    Godo