fedup

Default Elizabeth Wicks born c1793 Hackney Middlesex

I have hit a brickwall with finding a baptism for this lady who was my ggg grandmother. Too early for London births and baps on A.....y and not appearing in their E&W Christening records either. She married 1811 at St Dunstan Stepney to my ggg grandfather who was involved with the barges on the River Lea, so could be her parents were also involved in this sort of work. Thanks to anyone who could unearth something that would help with finding her parents.

Clutching at straws.

Brick wall demolition expert!

How reliable was she with her age on the various census returns.

There is this from the IGI

Elizabeth <Wix>
    Christening: 01 FEB 1793 St James, Westminster, London
    Father: William Wix Mother: Elizabeth Day
    Batch C320527

There are quite a few possible candidates on the IGI with London, East London and South London baptisms in the right date range
    With possible river men involved all those locations are in easy reach. Do you have any more information on her. Did she leave a will ?

Super Moderator

Haven't found parents names, found the Banns records but no parents mentioned there. Both Elizabeth and John were "of this Parish and the Hamlet of Ratcliffe". Have you anything on John? With an name like Izsard you would hope it would be unusual. However, we all know different!

Name well known on Brit-Gen

For members' information, there is a separate thread on John ISZARD here.

Knowledgeable and helpful

How sure are you of her year of birth? there is a baptism (Ancestry: London, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1812) at St Dunstans, Stepney on 8 April 1787 of ELizabeth Wicks to John of Ratcliffe, barge builder and Sarah, 26 days old.

Mutley

There is also a baptism at St Martin In The Fields on 22 Sept 1795 of an Elizabeth Sophia Wicks.
    Parents were Thomas and Elizabeth.
    Source: Westminster Baptisms - Transcripts from Westminster Archives

fedup

No will I'm afraid. She predeceased her husband by 8 years, and he was made bankrupt the year before her death, so I doubt they had two pennies to rub together. Thanks for your input on this. She was born c1793 in the 1841, but that was probably an estimate, and c1795 in the 1851. Death certificate in 1852 shows age 58, so 1793 is probably closer. Nothing useful regarding her age on her marriage record.

fedup

Thanks for your contribution to this thread. I have a fair amount regarding John except for his baptism. Need baptisms for both him and for Elizabeth before I can push back with this for a further generation. There were a lot of Iszards in the Hertford/Ware area, so am concentrating there. So many different spellings of Iszard are out there, but have established that there is no connection with the famous Eddie! Elizabeth claims born Middlesex in 1841 and Hackney in 1851. I'll explore the info you have kindly given.

fedup

According to the 1841 ahe was born c1793, and according to the 1851 she was born c1795. Her death certificate 29 May 1852 gives her age as 58, but her burial record on 4 June shows her age as 57. It's always possible she shaved a few years off her age because she didn't want to appear older than her husband born c1789.

I like this your suggestion for the St Dunstan Stepney baptism, because her husband was a bargeman and birds of a feather and all that. Also her marriage was at St Dunstan. Always possible these are the right parents but the Elizabeth b1787 died, and my Elizabeth was the second bor to this couple. However she claims in the 1851 she was born Hackney! I think this needs more work on my part at this juncture. I have already eliminated any baptism for her at St John at Hackney, where a lot of her children were baptised, so will explore other churches in the area and see if she turns up.

Thanks very much.