Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    linmar

Default JOHN WILLIAM RAY .

I am going nuts trying to find out anything on my Great Grandfather,John William Ray! All I know is ,he was born in Bethnal Green,London in 1848. He had a daughter(my nan) with Mary Caroline Richardson, in 1897 in Shoreditch, London. They never married because she was already married. He died in The German Hospital, Dalston,London,in 1908. I cannot find anything about him anywhere. I know he had two sisters ,but dont know their names.Its a long shot...anybody got any ideas?

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by linmar View Post
    ....he was born in Bethnal Green,London in 1848.
    Where have you found this information, please? If it was from a census, please would you quote the references.

Ken_R

The nearest I can find for a Birth is John William RYE, Q3 1849 Bethnal Green, who may be identical with,

1861 RG9, Piece 271, Folio 122, Page 12.

Note the two sisters, Emily & Clara.

As stated, without source information, it is difficult to know where to start.

Mutley

I can see his death in the index but without more information I cannot see further.

What else do you know about Mary Caroline?

linmar

Default JOHN WILLIAM RAY

hi..The info I have came from the census records on Ancestry .com In the 1901 census he is listed as being married to Mary Caroline Richardson.In fact, she was still married to Edward Brown (he was in hospital we think)They have listed all the children as RAY,but only my nan Julia was his child.Mary Caroline's maiden name was Richardson. It is Other info came from his death certificate which says he was 60 at death. This is where it s confusing, this would make his birthdate as 1852.You may be right about the name. Its all very mysterious. Hope I have explained clearly enough.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quoting the census references (as requested above) helps our members to help you.

1901 - RG13/284 folio 22 page 36

1911 - RG14/1374 SN278

linmar

hi..thankyou for pointing me in the right direction.I just went back to my relative's tree to get the census references you mentioned,and realised you had got them already.My dad's cousin is the grandaughter of Mary Caroline, and she has done a tree,but she has hit a brickwall with John Ray too. I guess we will never know. many thanks to all

Mutley

hi..thankyou for pointing me in the right direction.I just went back to my relative's tree to get the census references you mentioned,and realised you had got them already.My dad's cousin is the grandaughter of Mary Caroline, and she has done a tree,but she has hit a brickwall with John Ray too. I guess we will never know. many thanks to all
    Never say "never". New information is coming online all the time, we just don't know what will show up next.
    Meanwhile, we will keep searching.

There is quite a lot about Mary Jane Caroline. Seems she married a James Savage in 1919 in Hackney.
    She was a 62 year old widow living at 19 Dove Row. She married with the name Brown which does seem to mean she did not marry John Ray.
    Shame he did not make the 1911 census or the 14-18 war but I'll keep an eye out in 1891.

Brick wall demolition expert!

hi..The info I have came from the census records on Ancestry .com In the 1901 census he is listed as being married to Mary Caroline Richardson.In fact, she was still married to Edward Brown (he was in hospital we think)They have listed all the children as RAY,but only my nan Julia was his child.Mary Caroline's maiden name was Richardson. It is Other info came from his death certificate which says he was 60 at death. This is where it s confusing, this would make his birthdate as 1852.You may be right about the name. Its all very mysterious. Hope I have explained clearly enough.
    Here is Mary and her husband Edward and children on 1891 RG12 piece 242 folio 60 page 4

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_R View Post
    The nearest I can find for a Birth is John William RYE, Q3 1849 Bethnal Green, who may be identical with,

1861 RG9, Piece 271, Folio 122, Page 12.

Note the two sisters, Emily & Clara.

As stated, without source information, it is difficult to know where to start.
    Same Family 1851 Bethnal Green HO107 piece 1541 folio 169 page 1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast