Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post
    According to London parish registers, Richard AYRTON (bachelor) married Eleanor HASWELL (spinster) on 6 June 1835 at St Matthew Bethnal Green, after banns. Both were of the parish. Richard signed his name, Eleanor made her mark.
    Witnesses - Robert Crudgington (marked), Saml Ames

(Samuel Ames was the parish clerk at Bethnal Green)
    It had crossed my mind that Eleanor and Thomas were children of Elizabeth and Charles was their brother.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by KathNZ View Post
    Can anyone decipher the comment in the margin beside the entry ?
    How about ...

1 P[ape]r Torn
    By Children

I'm thinking maybe a superscript r for Paper ? The household schedules were often referred to as 'papers'.

Mutley

How about ...

1 P[ape]r Torn
    By Children

I'm thinking maybe a superscript r for Paper ? The household schedules were often referred to as 'papers'.
    That's clever Kerrywood
    Does that mean the 'children' tore the paper? If it does, no wonder he wrote it in the margin, I bet he had the right hump!

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    Does that mean the 'children' tore the paper?
    It may imply that a schedule is missing. Even if that's right, it doesn't help much with the quest.

Coromandel

How about ...

1 P[ape]r Torn
    By Children
    Brilliant! Having spent last weekend with nephew (three and a half) and niece (nine months) I'm sure that is the answer.

Edit: Kerrywood

There are some notes on the last page of the ED about omitted schedules, but I don't think they relate to this page.

Mutley

There is a baptism for a Mary Ann Haswell on the 27th July 1823 (born 27 June) at Whitechapel St. Mary.
    Parents Charles and Elizabeth Haswell of Tewksbury Court. A shoemaker.

I think they also had Charles George baptised 14 May 1826 (born 3 December 1824).
    Same address but Charles was now a Cordwainer.

Though I am not sure because a Charles George died in 1867.

It seems there were a lot of HASWELLs in the shoemaking trade. I don't know if he fits in, but there is a marriage amongst the LMA records that has originally been transcribed by Ancestry as Phoebe HESWELL, but is actually the marriage of Charles HASWELL, cordwainer, to Catherine Mary CALLOW on 13 June 1841 in Christ Church Spitalfields. Charles' address was given as 14 Duke Street.

ETA: This Charles was the son of Benjamin HASWELL, another cordwainer, and the witnesses were Benjamin and Jane HASWELL
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

LMA records have a baptism for Ellen LYE, daughter of John and Ellen, clockmaker, on 6 July 1869 in St.Augustines, Haggerston. I think the cleric misheard and the occupation should be clog maker

Cf marriage of John LYE to Eleanor WILLEMET (indexed as WILLERNET) on 13 Dec 1847 in St.Philips, Bethnal Green. John was a clog maker, son of William, clog maker. Eleanor was the daughter of Michael WILLEMET, cordwainer. Witnesses were Michael WILLMET and Lydia HASWELL
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Mackay View Post
    marriage of Charles HASWELL, cordwainer, to Catherine Mary CALLOW on 13 June 1841 in Christ Church Spitalfields. Charles' address was given as 14 Duke Street.
    ETA: This Charles was the son of Benjamin HASWELL, another cordwainer, and the witnesses were Benjamin and Jane HASWELL
    I followed this family through yesterday, wondering if this might possibly be the same Charles who later married Mary, since everything except the father's name fits.

But this other Charles is found as HASSWELL in 1841, with possible parents Benjamin (shoemaker) and Jane, in Whitechapel, when we have the 'right' Charles HASWELL in Shoreditch with Mary.
    1841 - HO107/717 book 6 folio 12 page 17 (held by TNA, Crown copyright)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast