lakastner

Default Lois--- Looking for Stewart family of Glasgow

Hi everyone--I am new to this website and I think I have already posted a thread in the wrong place! So many apologies.

Looking for following people and descendants:

James Stewart married (22 Dec 1865, Blythswood, Glasgow) to Sarah McLay, d/o John McLay, possibly of Ireland. These are my grt grt grandparents.
    "Jem" as he was called, was "Champion Boxer of Scotland"--although apparently not as profitable as it could have been as the Stewart family apparently moved around quite a bit and I am thinking it was due to finances. Jem might have also owned a chippy (fish and chip shop)--assuming in Glasgow somewhere.
    Anyway, Jem and Sarah had 6 kids that I know of:
    1. William b 24 Nov 1866 Calton, Glasgow
    2. David b 15 Dec 1874 (b Dundee) married (25 Aug 1862 Calton, Glasgow) to Williamina Brown. David and Mina had son James Stewart b 30 July 1863 and dtr Mary Ferguson Stewart, born 30 July 1865 (source: Familysearch.org). Both kids born Hutchesontown Glasgow.
    3. James Stewart b 11 Dec 1870--married Katherine McDonald Hanton (my grt grandparents)--I have more info on this part of the family.
    4. Robert Stewart b 6 June 1868 Calton, Glasgow
    5. John Stewart b 11 Feb 1873 Calton, Glasgow
    6. Ann, married William Paxton Orr. Have more info on these people if someone needs it--although still a few
    gaps in the info. William born Straits Settlement/Singapore, possibly India. Came from military family--pretty sure it was Highland Light Infantry. William and Ann later emigrated to America, settled Ohio. With them came my grandmother, then about 6 yrs old (or thereabouts)--and at that time took the name of Christine Orr, but her name was really Christina Reid Stewart--named after her grandmother Christina Reid. Time period for emigration was 1906-1908.

Now then, if you are still awake and reading all this, if any of this info rings a bell with anyone, please contact me at email address:

lakastner AT usa DOT net

I am looking for marriages and descendants of Jem and Sarah's kids (if any)--there must be something somewhere! Thanks for helping!
    Lois Kastner
    lakastner AT usa DOT net
    20 March 2012
    Last edited by notanotherminer; 20-03-2012 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Disguised email addresses to avoid spammers

Ancestry has indexes to the Scottish census returns (but not the original images). The 1871 census for 24 Young Street (Glasgow Calton) has James STEWART (27), a flesher, born Paisley, Renfrewshire. His wife Sarah (25) was born in Lanarkshire but the transcriber couldn't read the place - you may need to buy credits on Scotlandspeople to look at the original. Children listed as William (4), Robert (2) and James (3 months)
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

bamagirl

Hi, Lois.

In reading the info you provided, I have a problem with #2 David, his dates and those of his kids don't work at all. Perhaps you have a typo there somewhere?

You may already know that STEWART is a very common surname in Scotland. I have some in my tree in Mid-late 1700's Midlothian, and the family tradition of naming after grandparents means we've had middle names of Stewart for generations, including my own brother.

Sue gives good advice. It will cost some coin, but using the FamilySearch records as a guide, the Scotlandspeople site will get you original images of vital records and census reports to answer your questions.

Regards,
    Barb