Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mallyjam

I have established that my tailor's father was a market gardener. I found in the 1840 Pigot's Directory at the same address as that given on the census 1851/61. It now makes a little more sense. I had always been told that my ggrandfather had parents or grandparents that were farmers and I suppose vegetable growing carried on as a business could be classified as farming.

I have trouble imagining a market garden in the High Street though. Can anyone tell me more about them? Should I start a new thread about market gardeners?

I have tried to find photos of the High Street but there don't seem to be that many. I'd like to find the rectory as well.

So that's where I'm at. Have been reading as much as I can of the history and geography and find it very interesting.

Mutley

I think, not sure, that the High Street was once called Market Street.
    Maybe before the shops were built, Market Street was a large garden owned by Lewis's father?

Mallyjam

Mutley, that's a brilliant thought!!

I did see mention of once being called Market St too but the dots didn't connect.

I have been going through events in the chronicle and my goodness it takes you back to the days when they had stocks on the street to punish people and soldiers were shooting smugglers... fascinating but what grim lives the working classes led. At the time of the Swing Riots, nearly 500 people from roundabout were transported to Australia - 500 !! Unbelievable.

Anyway, thanks again Mutley. You always come with the goods! I'll see what I can turn up about Market Street. I think the old part of Hastings is now referred to as Old Town Hastings. It's really interesting.

Mutley

The Chronicle is indeed fascinating, even if you do not have ancestors from Hastings. It is all the little details, year by year.
    "1785 Sept 7 - There was a severe storm, and fishing boats were hauled up the High Street as far as the Swan Hotel."
    I wonder if it is worth you sending an email to the Old Town Museum in the High Street. It seems that many detailed maps were produced.

Mallyjam

You wouldn't believe it but I had the same thought and have already sent off an email to them. Am on a site that shows an image of the Museum as it was in 1823. It's actually a painting.

Same site has an image of a shop with the address 45 High St and I'm debating whether the shop owner might take a photo of next door for me. My ancestor lived at 46. Bit forward of me but might not be able to resist contacting them LOL It's not every day you find a street from those days looking much as it always did.

So on with my search.

I have market gardeners in my Kentish lot who walked three miles to work each day - so the garden need not have been in Market Street. You took accommodation where you could find it!
    And they rented their land and did not own it.

Mallyjam

Yes I realize he would be renting the land - which begs the question - who from? I have read a little about the Swing Riots but already knew that to make a living off land owned by a landlord was hard labour.

One of his sons was described as a groom/gardener on one of the records and I presume he would have been employed in the family business for a time at least. This son moved away.

I think I will have to make a time line of the family records. And I really would like to know more about market gardens.

Is there a way of finding out who the landlord was?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12