Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    malcolm99

Not exactly headline news but there is this rather strange snippet from the Leicester Chronicle and Leicester Mercury 3rd June 1876:

“On the 31st ult., James Chater, a boatman, in the employ of the Grand Junction Canal Company, and living at Stoke Albany, was stepping off a boat, when he fell backwards and broke the ankle of his right leg.”

This could be either Annie’s father or brother (see #3)

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm99 View Post
    After quite a search I think I may have found part of the family in 1871 in Leicester - RG10/3286 fol. 81 p. 24

This may help checking earlier censuses:

James Chater, head, 65, canal waterman, born Oldbury Staffs
    Presilla Chater, wife, 54, canal waterman, born Oldbury Staffs
    James Chater, son, 23, widower?? , canal waterman, born Oldbury Staffs
    Hannah Kent, visitor, 25, married, canal waterman, born Oldbury Staffs
    John Kent, visitor’s son, 3, born Leicester

(Record in care of TNA: Crown copyright)
    What’s odd is that there are also these entries in the 1871 Census in the Uxbridge area of Middlesex:

1. Address: Boat “Hero Of Kars”, Top Lock, Norwood, Precinct of Hayes – RG10/1311 folio 97
    page 45

James Chater, Head, married. age 65, Captain, born Oldbury , Worcester
    Prisscillah Chater, wife, married, age 64, born Oldbury , Worcester
    William Jenkins, Gr son, age 9, born Leicester

And on the next page>

2. Address: Boat, Norwood Wharf, Norwood, Precinct of Hayes – RG10/1311 folio 97 page 46.
    James Chater, age 23, Widower, Captain, born Oldbury , Worcester
    Charles Pilgrim, age 14, no occupation, born Leicester

From a court case reported in the Leicester Chronicle & Leicester Mercury 3 September 1898, it’s probable that James Chater and Charles Pilgrim were related.

catkins

Thank you all for your messages, I have been trying to link them up with the info I have.
    After her marriage to John Kent, Annie Chater was usually known as Hannah, ( or was that really her name to start with) I cannot find a birth for her 1848/9 ish in either.In the 1891 census it says she was born in Oldbury Staffs, and one of there children was names Priscilla J, so I am presuming that the James Chater married to Priscilla Hollaway, were her parents, and that it was she that was visiting them in the 1871 census, with her son John.
    I can only find Priscilla (mother) mentioned in the 1871 census, but I do have her death. 18.sep. 1879, aged 73yrs, Folehill, Warw:
    and James's death, 31.01.1885, aged 78yrs, also Folehill.

James and Priscilla's son John, widowed,at 23yrs, was married to a Mary Kent, A.M.J. 1869, but she died a couple of months later, J.A.S. 1869, aged just 21yrs. Leicestershire.

I have found a Thomas Chater b 1788c, in the 1851 census, also born Oldbury, I wonder if he was James brother.

I still havn't found the birth or parents of John Kent b1841/2, Father also John, a Waterman also.

Mary

malcolm99

As these Chaters seem so elusive, I thought I’d do something that isn’t normally recommended, which is to try and trace the children of James and Priscilla as listed as being baptised in Oldbury (on Family Search), to see where they end up in later censuses. They are:

Betsy baptised 6 December 1829 – can’t trace

Ann baptised 1 September 1833 –
    • Ann Chater married Peter HUNT, Leicester RD, March Quarter, 1859
    • See 1861 Census (Leicester): RG9 Piece 2295 fol. 110 p. 7
    • See 1871 Census (Leicester): RG10 Piece 3268 fol. 49 p. 12 – they have a daughter called Priscilla
    • See 1881 Census (Leicester): RG11 Piece 3175 fol. 31 p. 24

Elizabeth baptised 28 August 1836 -
    • Elizabeth Chater married William Henry JENKIN (sic) in Leicester RD, Dec Q, 1860.
    • 1871 Census (Leicester): This is really interesting because in the census [RG10 Piece 3286 fol. 81 p.
    24]Elizabeth and William are living next door to James,Priscilla and son James and Hannah Kent & John.

I suspect that the James, Priscilla and William mentioned in #12 above are the same people as listed
    in Leicester. This probably also applies to the James Chater, age 23, mentioned in the same post.
    I can imagine that for boat people a census return may be filled in where they usually live and then they
    might have to fill out another return if they were actually elsewhere on the night of the census. You might
    want to ask on the “Canals and Watermen” forum how common this sort of duplication of entries was.

Joseph baptised 15 April 1838 – can’t trace

Priscilla baptised 12 December 1841
    • 1851: HO107 piece 1716 folio 92 page 10
    • Priscilla Chater married William WILKINS, Leicester RD, Sep Q 1866
    • 1871 Census: RG10 Piece 3256 fol. 34 p. 29 – their son David is probably the David Wilkins lodging with
    Ann Hunt (née Chater) in 1881 [RG11 Piece 3175 fol.31 p.24]

Hopefully you can build on some of this.

P.S. I now think the James Chater I mentioned in #11 is someone completely different.
    Last edited by malcolm99; 18-03-2012 at 12:24 PM. Reason: added PS

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by catkins View Post
    Annie Chater was usually known as Hannah, ( or was that really her name to start with)
    I think you should ignore the ages she gives on her marriage certificate and the census and look at Hannah Chater, birth registered in West Bromwich Sep Q, 1842 vol.18 p. 508. It fits in nicely with the baptism dates of her older brother and sisters. Oldbury was in West Bromwich RD.

catkins

Thank you for your last e/mail, been away for a few days, so will now get back into things, I have sent off for the birth cert: for Hannah Chater 1842, to see what that throws up. will let you know what it says.

catkins

I have got the birth cert: for Hannah Chater. 15.08.1842, and yes father James, and mother Priscilla, nee Holloway. in Oldbury, West Bromwich, father, Boatman, so thanks for putting me on the right track there.
    I have been spending the last couple of days trying to match up, John Kent, Hannah (Annies) husband, because with her birth date wrong, so could his be. But I havn't found any thing, on the marriage cert for them, on of the witness's was a Mary Kent, I dont know if it was his mother, if so at the moment I can only come up with a Widow, Mary kent with a son John. But the marriage cert: doesnt say his father was deceased, so I tried a sbling but at the moment only one is for a JohnKent, which is what I want, married to a Sophia, but that John senior, isnt a boatman, as the to Johns are.
    So back to the drawing board, Im afraid.

canalbabe

Cool James and Priscilla Chater & co

I am researching my Chater family tree and believe that James and Priscilla are my 5x great grand parents. Thier son Joseph born 1838 had a son Edward but I can't trace who the mother was or any marriage/census records for Joseph. Another illusive Chater!

Thanks for all the info, its helped fill some gaps. Any help would be gratefully received.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12