Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Jan
    Thanks You have been pondering well. I found a birth of a Martha Hay in 1853 Pembroke, so I sent for that and the possible marriage of Benjamin Hay in 1851, if they are the right ones! I will let you know. I will look at the Narbeth one you found, if I am wrong, which I probably am.

I know I am trying to add things up as connections but on the 1871 cenus Benjamin Hay was living in Penally in the next house to Penally Barracks. I wonder if John Duffy was based here and met Martha. They married two years later in Scotland.
    Our John Duffy was supposed to be very upset his son did not become a priest.
    I wonder did Martha run away to Scotland?
    That military record looks interesting, did you find that on FMP?
    We'll crack this one sometime I am sure.
    Thanks very very much
    ELMA
    Last edited by Elma; 16-03-2012 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Omission

Just an update.
    Thank you Janet and Grisel for your help and your interest. I have with that help been able to get Martha's death record, she died a few days after the 1881 census in Ayr Barracks. It records the correct names for her parents Benjamin and Sarah Hays (maiden name Davis), the Penally connection. It also records that her husband John was in the 21st foot regiment so the military records are likely to be the right ones. This is a big break through and I cant thank Janet enough. Hugs all round.

I will try the death for John Duffy in Tullamore and I will put a post on the military board to see if anyone can help me with that bit. So it is not surprising great granddad William James spoke with a strong Irish accent, we thought maybe they were confusing it with Scottish!
    Thank you once again ELMA

janbooth

Fantastic, Elma, do let us know what happens re John DUFFY's death. The date fits with the fact your John was dead by the time William married but no doubt it is a common name in Ireland so could be another branch of the family. Poor Martha, she did not live very long did she and poor William James, both parents dead before he married.

Good luck

Janet

Famous for offering help & advice

That's good news, Elma.
    You are lucky with John Duffy in that you have a place of birth (Kilbride). I had a look on maps and there seems to be a Kilbride just west of Tullamore by the canal and streetview shows a ruined(I think) church and graveyard. Seems to be more scattered houses than a village.
    But be careful when you are looking for records as there is another Kilbride a few miles north of Tullamore close to Clara.

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    That's good news, Elma.
    You are lucky with John Duffy in that you have a place of birth (Kilbride). I had a look on maps and there seems to be a Kilbride just west of Tullamore by the canal and streetview shows a ruined(I think) church and graveyard. Seems to be more scattered houses than a village.
    But be careful when you are looking for records as there is another Kilbride a few miles north of Tullamore close to Clara.
    Now if the ruined church in the Kilbride by the canal is the chapel of ease for Tullamore it looks as though it became anglican after the reformation according to Michael Byrne's history of Tullamore catholic church.
    https://www.
    tullamorehistory.com/?p=88

Thanks Grisel and Janet.
    Well a trip to Ireland might be in order. I love that area and have been looking forward to going back one day.
    Meanwhile I am working on finding out more about the 21st Regiment of Foot. It is exciting. Ayr barracks is no longer there but I have sat in the park nearby where there is a memorial to the regiment. I probably did not even look at it.
    Yes I will send for the death certificate and will keep you posted.
    Now to look at tullamorehistory.
    Many thanks again ELMA

I have received the death certificate for John Duffy and I think it is the right one as he is the right age and his occupation was army pensioner. The informant was a wife, Bridget Duffy! I have started another thread to try and work out the Irish connections if possible.
    I am very pleased for all this help and the new information.
    Many thanks Elma

janbooth

Great news, Elma, and good luck with the new line of research.

Janet

Loves to help with queries

Default John Duffy

Quote Originally Posted by Elma View Post
    I have received the death certificate for John Duffy and I think it is the right one as he is the right age and his occupation was army pensioner. The informant was a wife, Bridget Duffy! I have started another thread to try and work out the Irish connections if possible.
    I am very pleased for all this help and the new information.
    Many thanks Elma
    Hello Elma,

I checked marriages in Tullamore 1881 to 1890,you may have found this already but posting just in case.

John Duffy,widower age 40 marriage to Bridget Booth age 20,spinster in Tullamore on 12th May 1884 His father named as James, deceased and hers John Booth a cordwainer This was the only one i found. John D address, The Hotel ,occupation servant and hers Henry Street, occupation servant. Their witnesses were William Rivers and Maria Langan
    Perhaps this may help
    Tullamor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12