Loves to help with queries Jonesy's Avatar

Default Montgomery local knowledge, please!

I'm tracing my great great grandfather George Vaughan, born 1832, Kerry, Montgomeryshire.

His address on censuses has been described as "Little Argoed", Churchstoke. I have, perhaps naively, looked at modern maps and assumed this was a farm dwelling.

However, having looked at a copy of his marriage certificate (marrying Elizabeth Davies in 1858), I see their address is "Sneade", Little Argoed.

So, could this be an area, or something more specific? Might it only be an area on an 1858 marriage certificate?

Reputation beyond repute

I'm afraid I don't have any specific local knowledge but Streetmap locates Little Argoed. GenUKI also has a variety of map URLs

https://www.
    streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=325300&Y=291000&A=Y&Z=115

It appears to be a small hamlet or settlement.

pippycat

Peter is correct, Snead is a small settlement.

Snead is the smallest parish in Montgomery..this from a snippet of info about St Mary the Virgin Church, "which is located in the small settlement of Snead about 11 miles to the SE of Welshpool and no more than a stone's throw from the English border"

From Genuki Montgomery Hundreds:

Snead is listed under Kerry/Montgomery
    along with Churchstoke, Hyssington, Kerry, Mochdre and Montgomery.

Rebecca

Reputation beyond repute

Snead was a parish, Little Argoed was in the parish of Church Stoke. So it should be apparent from the marriage certificate whether it means the parish of Snead or somewhere in Little Argoed (Sneade Cottage or something).

Loves to help with queries Jonesy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Snead was a parish, Little Argoed was in the parish of Church Stoke. So it should be apparent from the marriage certificate whether it means the parish of Snead or somewhere in Little Argoed (Sneade Cottage or something).
    The marriage certificate says "Sneade" (then underneath) "LIttle Argoed" for the couple's residence. The marriage took place at The Parish Church, Churchstoke.

I've seen photos of the aforementioned online, and very pretty it is too!

Reputation beyond repute

So "Sneade" was a property in Little Argoed.