PLeavett

Default 90 Hathaway Street, Glasgow in 1924

Is there anyone in Scotland who could tell me if there were Postal directories or Electoral Lists for 1924. Or at least tell me about the above address as it was in the 1920's.

On my great aunt Kathleen Sweeney's wedding details, we found a Sheila Maher listed as a witness,living at the above address in 1924.

The interesting thing is that Maher was the maiden name of my great aunt's mother, so of course we would like to know who Sheila Maher is.

We have used Scotlands People quite extensively, but are still struggling to identify her.

Anything to build up the picture of this woman in 1924 would be interesting.

Thanks in advance
    Pamela

Famous for offering help & advice

If no-one here comes up with an answer, you could get in touch with the Mitchell Library, Glasgow's main library, which has a major family and local history section - see www.
    glasgowlife.org.uk/libraries/the-mitchell-library/family-history/Pages/home.aspx

It appears that they have a good collection of directories, as well as voters and valuation rolls - follow the links to Family History > Resources for details. I didn't find anything about a copying or research service, but some libraries are happy to do short simple lookups for free, as the admin involved in processing a payment would cost more than the payment brought in.

Arthur

PLeavett

Thanks Arthur!
    I'll have a look at that link and see what I can find...looks interesting.

Pamela

harrywrag

Default sheila maher

hi,
    i was at the mitchell library to-day tues. and looked up the voters roll for 90 hathaway street these buildings in hathaway street are tennement buildings usuall with abt 9/12 houses in each tennement the voters roll for 1924 shows 22 people eligable to vote from that building there is no mention of a sheila maher i also looked at 1923 voters roll for sheila maher but she was not listed on that 23 people were listed as registerd to vote i am new to this site so dont know if there is anyway i could send you the list of names for this address 1923/4 in case any may relate to you i stay just a couple of streets away from hathaway st and could take photo for you if you would wish one, hathaway street is in the maryhill area of glasgow (north glasgow ) acouple of street in this area are called shakespeare st and strattford st named after william shakespeare the playwright, just wondering if perhaps sheila maher was not of age to vote (21) and was staying with someone at that address, i have the list of the voters if there is any way i can e.mail them to you hope this may be of help

kind regards

harrywrag