PLeavett

Default Lawson family of Logiealmond Perthshire

I have had such wonderful responses every time I post on British Genealogy....I'm hoping that once again some of the knowledgeable people on this board can help...

My grandmother's sister Kathleen Sweeney of Mallow Co.Cork moved to Ireland and married John McDonald Lawson in 1924 in Glasgow Scotland. His residence at time of marriage was Morningside Logiealmond, Perthshire and his occupation listed as Shepherd. This agrees with my Mother's memories of travelling up to Scotland with her sister, before WWII and visiting her aunt and uncle on a large sheep farm and the many working dogs kept in a special barn.

John McDonald Lawson died in 1939, but Kathleen did not die until 1975....there was only one son James Lawson, whose details I won't share on the board, since there is a chance he may still be living. Could anyone advise how I could find out if the son James Lawson married and if there were any children from this marriage still alive?

This branch of the family has been very difficult to follow, the Irish side has it's own problems.

There is a further interest in Kathleen's marriage to John Lawson: on the marriage cert it's gives the witnesses as: William Lawson of Coulshill(father or brother?) and Sheila Maher of 90 Hathaway Street, Glasgow(we would like to find out who she is, because Kathleen's mother was Mary Maher, and we know nothing of her origins). Could Sheila have been Mary Maher's sister?

I look forward to hearing from anyone who can suggest some avenues to follow or who can add to our knowledge of this family.

Thanks in advance
    Pamela in Canada

Bertie

A lot depends on what you know about the birth and early life details of James LAWSON (and I presume you know more than you are able to state here because you think he may still be alive). A good first port of call is scotlandspeople where you can search for your man and the other names you list. You can do quite a lot for free with ingenious searching but any records will need to be bought. You can download births over 100 years ago; marriages 75; deaths 50. Outside these dates you have to order an extract which is a copy certificate for a few pounds.

However, James LAWSON is quite a common name and, for example, there are 143 marriages with that name between 1940 and 1960. So if you had any clue to location that might help but it's still quite a wide field

Re. poss death there is none up to 2009 for a James LAWSON with mother's maiden name SWEENEY (but this is not conclusive). If you know his birth year and do a search with that without SWEENEY do any come up? If there is a good match the death cert. may (if you are lucky) give his wife as the informant (or another family member) which will add to your knowledge - e.g. in searching for a marriage or children

PLeavett

Thanks Bertie for your thoughts and advice on where to search next on my great aunts line.
    We will have another go on Scotlands People this weekend. I do see a possible 4 matches for James Lawson's death. The problem of course is whether he actually stayed in Scotland after the war.... We did use the Scotland's People site last year and did find quite a lot -Kathleen's marriage, her husbands name, his parents etc. We have also used Mallow Heritage Centre in Ireland for the Irish side.

I was wondering if there is anyone actually in Perthshire, who has any info on the Lawson family in Logiealmond - we know Kathleen's husband's death was registered in Crieff, which I understand is the town next to Logiealmond and that Kathleen died 1975 reg. Perth & Kinross(per Scotland People) so it sounds as though, as recently as 1975 they were still in the area.

I also wonder if Morningside is the name of a hamlet in Logiealmond -or-is it the name of the farm?

A lot of speculation I know, so once again thanks for your reply.

Pamela