Brick wall demolition expert!

Default Co-incidence or otherwise

I have been trawling the IGI looking for a baptism and came across the following:

Evan Roberts born 14 April 1830 baptised 25 April 1830 at Bethesda Chapel, Bangor Street, Carnarvon - parents Robert Roberts and Margaret Owen

Evan Roberts born 14 April 1830 baptised 25 JAN 1832 at Llanbeblig Church, Carnarvon - parents Robert Roberts and Margaret [no surname given]

It must be the same person mustn't it, and the parents have changed denomination???

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hi Megan, many have had the same experience, particularly in Waes where names are oft repeated. I just had a quick look on Familysearch & the 1881 censuses for instance have seemilgly 6 Roberrt Roberts married to a Margaret in Caernarvonshire,:
    Llanllyfni, Llanwnda,​ Llandisilio (Anglesey),​ Llansaintffraid-​Glan-​Conway (Denbigh),​

Marriages for a Robert Roberts :
    1836 Margaret jones, Margaret Davies, Margaret Griffiths,
    1834 Margaret LLoyd, Margaret Thomas & 1828 Margaret Pierce,

concentration flagging 'Pepper Pig' next machine to mine is over-riding
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Reputation beyond repute

Assuming this was the same person (you could check from the registers), there were situations where it was advantageous to be able to prove that you had been baptized into the established church. I think it was still then a requirement for becoming an army officer or a civil servant. I would guess that Bethesda Chapel was their preferred denomination and Llanbeblig Church (Church in Wales) was for the lad's official documentation.

The repetition of names is no surprise - we don't have many Robert Roberts but have plenty of others - Evan Evan Roberts - Llewelyn Llewelyn Roberts etc - and this is obviously a hangover from the days of patronymic naming conventions.

Thank you Peter I did wonder if it was something to do with the established church.

Reputation beyond repute

I think my dates were a bit shaky and it wasn't still a requirement for army officers - at least not officially but old habits died hard. Anyway, the difficulty in getting non-conformist baptisms universally recognized was what led to the founding of the registers of Dr Williams Library and non-conformist campaigning for a system of civil registration.