Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Terry

Default New Coastguard web site

Hi Folks, some members of the old mailing list supplied me with a whole stack of Coastguard information, which was intended for a web site. Circumstances overtook me and the web site never got done. NOW THE GOOD NEWS- a new index of coastguards has been started by Stan Waight and it is on Genuki.

All the information that was given to me I have handed over to Stan and he has included it on the new site. The index is by no means complete BUT it does contain a huge amount of information.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-10-2007 at 3:25 PM.

busyglen

Thumbs up

That's good news Terry! I was a bit concerned that all the information that was being thrown at you, would prove too much as it was a huge undertaking! I started to create my own database as you know, but found it too long-winded. It was much easier typing it into my web site.

I have been sent more information by relatives who found their coastguards on Sheppey, and they are now attaching their family history to them. However, I do now have several more that have turned up, and which I hadn't sent you, so I will do so shortly.

I'm so glad that Stan is going to do this, and with an Index, it will be much easier for people to search.

Thanks for keeping this going though Terry, I have been surprised at the number of people researching this occupation, and have `met' some wonderful people in the process.

Glenys

Terry

Hi Glenys, I must acknowledge that you were a real wonderful source of a lot of that information, and I didn't want to see it go to waste, so when I heard about this new site I was only to happy to pass it on- its much better on Genuki than on my computer

busyglen

Smile

Thank you Terry, I was happy to contribute and enjoyed the challenge, but as has been said before, there was a lot of input from others. I am sure everyone who has contributed, will be pleased to see their efforts on Genuki, helping others.

Agreed.....it would have been a shame to see it all sitting on your computer! I guess you didn't realise how well it would take off, and that people would be anxious to help when you offered to take it on. |But...thank you again for passing all this info on so that it will not have been gathered in vain.

Glenys

Sandra Parker

Thumbs up Coastguards

Hi Terry, Busyglen and others, As the g.grandaughter of George Henry Barton, Coastguard of Kessingland, Reculvers and Herne Bay, I would like to add my thanks for collating and organising so much Coastguard information. It has helped me 'fill a few gaps' in my knowledge of the life and times of these amazing folk.
    Your efforts are very much appreciated. Sandra

Occasionally, just very occasionally, needs an umbrella!

Minter or Minto, JohnCON (1822 (A); 1824 (B)) Falmouth1851 Atherfield (Shorwell) IOW (A)
    1861 Newtown (Calbourne) IOW (B)
    1881 Not foundWife: Jane, 1836, Hastings, SSX. Children: Frank & Alice, 1857 & 1859, Calbourne, IOW.

Found this reference on the Coastguards link - John Minto is one of "mine" and I can confirm that the surname is MINTO not Minter.

In case anyone is interested, John Minto was the son of John Thompson Minto (a real mystery man who kept changing his name!) and Elizabeth Rowe of Falmouth. He was born 23 May 1822 in Falmouth, and married Jane Murphy on 2 August 1853 in Northwood, IOW. They appear to have only the two children quoted. John died 3 October 1865.

Starting to feel at home

Coastguard site schedule lists Joseph Sherrell (should be no s on the end) at Goldhanger, Essex, in 1851.
    For info in 1861 census he is at Frinton Battery (incorrectly shown as George) (RG9/1093)
    and in 1871 census he is a Greenwich Pensioner at 22, Broughton Street, Battersea (RG10/705).
    (next door on the 1871 census is another Greenwich pensioner Richard Shirrell & family, age 56 bn Devon - brother? and another coastguard?)
    Joseph's wife Alice variously has birthplace stated as Aberdeen, Scotland, or Queenstown, Ireland. Other children followed William, his eldest - see 1861 & 1871 census - none of whom as far as I am aware followed their father's occupation.

Geoff

waspexile

Terry,

I have sent you some info by email regarding a member of my family tree who was in the coastguard service in Kent in the 1870s.
    Hope you have received it ok.

Regards
    David Jefferies

Ludovica

This is a terrific data source. Tabitha, the wife of Charles Ahern, was my first cousin x 5 removed. It was great finding information about her and her family

busyglen

"Super"... could be Superannuated ie, on a pension, which was often the case in that profession.

Glenys

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast