Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    busyglen

Forgot to include this, and can't edit now.....but....you can find out quite a bit of information on the Customs and Excise going back to the 1600s at the National Archives website.

Glenys

suedent

For anyone wanting further information on Coastguards/Preventative men who were either born or settled in Polperro (Talland & Lansallos parishes) contact me & I may well be able to help.

The exhibition at the Polperro FHS AGM last year was Coastguards & our Projects Officer compiled a great deal of information in creating the exhibition.

elizabethjones1

Default New Coastguard site

Hi Terry
    Yes have been on to the site and very good it is too.I still haven't tracked down my G/G Grandfather but it is a long haul when I don't have a lot to go on.Anyway well done Eliza.

Titanicfan

Thumbs up

I agree - this is a fantastic site. One of my ancestors, Joseph Wale, was a coastguard in a few locations and by finding more details about him, I found out that he was born in the East Indies! Thank you and well done to all the contributors to this site.

Eileen Sherrell

So glad to see there is going to be more information about Coastguards. I have tried researching for a number of years but have had many difficulties. I see G.V.Ford has an interest in my G.Grandfather, Joseph Sherrell. I will be interested to see this new site.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen Sherrell View Post
    So glad to see there is going to be more information about Coastguards. I have tried researching for a number of years but have had many difficulties. I see G.V.Ford has an interest in my G.Grandfather, Joseph Sherrell. I will be interested to see this new site.
    Hi Eileen,
    The site was new when this thread was first started - in 2005.
    In case you haven't found the site - and I can't see a link in the thread - it's at https://www.
    genuki.org.uk/big/Coastguards/index.html

Pam

v.wells

Thanks Pam for re-activating this thread. It will make it easier to find now

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Don't thank me Vanessa - thank Eileen.

The coincidence is that I was looking at the site only this morning.
    Pam

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Eileen

The site mentioned is excellent, but is based on information taken from the various census'. If you truly want to research your mans career then you should look at the CG Establishment Books (ADM 175) available as free downloads from the National Archives. However, be warned these are very large files, and the NA's recent changes to how their catalogued makes following them a little tricky.

What you won't find in these is that your Joseph served on HMS Cressy (Ships No.6) during the Crimean War, for which he was awarded the Baltic Medal. Due to a manpower shortage some 2600 CG's served in the Navy at this time.

Should you have any difficulty tracing your man drop me a PM and I'll try to help.

Martin
    Coastguards of Yesteryear

v.wells

Thanks Eileen

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12