Thread: SPEECHLEY

Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

Default SPEECHLEY

Folks,
    William Speechley baptised 4 Dec 1757 in Yaxley,son of Ralph and Sarah Speechley (source familysearch).A sibling search reveals 16 children to Ralph and Sarah between 1731 and 1767 in Orton Longueville and Yaxley which are adjacent parishes.My initial thought was just one couple though their second child is Ralph b 1732 so i am now leaning toward him also marrying a Sarah who bore William.Familysearch and Ancestry have a marriage in 1731 of Ralph to Sarah Blackwell but nothing for Ralph junior.
    Can anyone help with a later marriage?
    Eric

davidcarca

Hunts Marriage Index, which covers all the county, has only the 1731 marriage. Perhaps Ralph jr married in nearby Northants. Or how about a member submission on the IGI, which obviously needs checking, of a marriage at Whittlesey St Mary, Cambs on 9 Nov 1749, of Ralph Speechly and Sarah Fawn. Yaxley and Whittlesey are only 5 miles apart.

But even if Sarah Blackwell was only 16 when she had their first child, a 36 year child bearing span looks to be too long. Looks more likely to be two couples rather than one.

David

janbooth

No marriages for a Ralph SPEECHL(E)Y on the Northamptonshire Marriage Index. However, using the marriage information David found for you, there are the following marriages for a Ralph SPEECHL(E)Y on the Cambridgeshire Marriage Index:

1715 Whittlesey St Mary Ralf SPEECHLEY
    1719 Whittlesey St Mary Ralph SPEECHLEY
    1740 Whittlesey St Mary Ralf SPEECHLEY
    1749 Whittlesey St Mary Ralph SPEECHLEY
    1761 Whittlesey St Mary Ralph SPEECHLY
    1764 Whittlesey St Mary Ralph SPEECHLEY

Unfortunately, the Index does not cross reference, so I cannot give you names of the brides but there is a corresponding entry in the Index for a Sarah FAWN in 1749 at St Mary Whittlesey.

FMP (Huntingdonshire Burials) have a burial record for a Sarah SPEECHLY at Orton Longueville on 17 December 1731 and another for a Sarah SPEECHLY at Orton Longueville on 6 May 1783.

Janet

I have been foiled again by not spreading my search wider,later generations lived in Whittlesey also.Thank you both.
    Eric

dcb_nwh

I have a tree by an American for John Speechley, bapt 26 Oct 1753, son of Ralph and Sarah Blackwell. It doesn't have his wife's name but has his children and descendants of his son, also John. His son, Ralph, emigrated to America.

I have been in touch with another descendant of John and Sarah Blackwell who is trying to find a definitive ancestry for Ralph, b 1694. The American tree differs from most of those on-line.

I am not a Speechley but a relative married a descendant of a Ralph and Sarah Jackson who married in Whittlesey in 1856.

Regards,
    David

David,
    Thanks for the prompt,had children of Ralph and Sarah but had not followed up their children etc.
    Regards,
    Eric