RobinC

Default 17 year gap between death and probate dates

Elizabeth Ann Johnson Norledge died on the 19th March 1910 but the probate wasn't granted until 1927, her husband and her brother in law were named as the Aministrators / Executors.

Why would there be such a delay?

Reputation beyond repute

Why would there be such a delay?
    They found some assets in her name that they wanted to get their hands on. Or it could be some other reason, I don't see how anyone can answer that. Perhaps the grant will mention something but I doubt it.

It's administrators, not executors.

RobinC

I was just wondering in general what would cause a delay.

Reputation beyond repute

It was an administration, there was no will. The only reason to apply for a grant is to get their hands on something (eg some stocks or shares) that were in her name and couldn't be released without a grant of probate.

Brick wall demolition expert!

When my mother died she left a will naming me as her executor and leaving everything to my father. Everything went along fine; I would write to people informing them of her death, providing a copy of the death certificate and will, and they would transfer the asset over to Dad. This worked for everything from bank accounts, premium bonds and almost all shares. Then British Gas refused to transfer them to Dad without a deed of probate. So after going around and around the houses, we had to go to probate (which would not have been necessary otherwise) for about £50 worth of shares, and that was about 2 years after she died.

RobinC

I know her father died 4 years before her so I wonder if she had shares that weren't discovered until circa 1927 so the family had to go down the same avenue...

It's only conjecture though.

Colin Moretti

My gg grandfather died in 1868 but administration of his estate was not granted until 1901, ie 33 years after his death; the reason? - he (or rather, his estate) received a legacy from a cousin who had died in 1861 but did not become payable until the cousin's wife died, she had the benefit of her husband's estate for her lifetime and she survived him by 40 years.

Colin