Duncs62

Default Mary Caie - Nigg, Scotland.

Hi.
    I am trying to research and track down any information on my GG Grandparents Mary Caie born Circa- 1841, in Nigg, Kincardine, Scotland. Her parents may have been George Caie and Margaret Phillip also from Nigg Scotland. Mary Caie married Robert Alfred Widdicombe 1864 in Devon, England. Robert Alfred Widdicombe was born Circa- 1839 in Harburton, Devon, England. Robert A & Mary Widdicombe ( Nee- Caie) and children, immigrated to Australia on the ship Chyebassa in 1884. Any help, family contact, or history would be greatly appreciated. - Michael

The marriage between Mary Caie and Robert Widdicombe was registered in the December quarter of 1863 in Totnes Registration District, Devon. Volume 5b page 311. If you order the certificate online here it should confirm who Mary's father was and his occupation.

If she was the daughter of George and Margaret then the 1841 census for Nigg has George as a ship's carpenter and Mary was one month old. However, the 1851 census has George and Margaret with 10 year old Mary but also younger children John (8), Georgina (5) and Joseph (2) with the surname PHILIP. Could George have married twice, both wives being Margaret, the second one being a widow with young children?
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Mackay View Post
    However, the 1851 census has George and Margaret with 10 year old Mary but also younger children John (8), Georgina (5) and Joseph (2) with the surname PHILIP. Could George have married twice, both wives being Margaret, the second one being a widow with young children?
    Scrub that. The marriage between George CAIE and Margaret PHILIP took place on 8 August 1840 in Nigg (IGI) and the Philip on the census index for the younger children should be a middle name, presumably followed by ditto marks for the surname on the original and not picked up. If you get the marriage certificate and Mary's father was George and a carpenter, then you are pretty sure you have the right family.
    Sue Mackay

As I see you have a thread running on Robert Widdicombe, to avoid duplication of effort I am closing this thread. Any information on this couple should be posted on the other thread.
    Sue Mackay