Thread: Edward McHugh

Jane56

Unhappy Edward McHugh

Hi,

I have never done any research using Irish records before and dont know where to start and have found ancestors from Ireland.

Can anyone give me some advice of where to start and any sites that I should use.

I am looking for my Great Great Grandfather, Edward McHugh born in Carrickfergas, Ireland according to the 1891 census when he ws living with his wife, Rose Ellen in North Shields.

He was born circa 1842. His wife Rose Ellen (madien name unknown) was born in Maghuanmore, Ireland in circa 1855.

Any advice would be wonderful.

Jane

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Jane56 View Post
    Can anyone give me some advice of where to start and any sites that I should use.
    Hello Jane,

A really useful guide to hundreds of FREE TO VIEW websites to help you with your Irish research is this CD.

Also, have a read of the stickies at the top of this forum.

obbie

they are on the 1881 1891 1901 censuses spelt hughes

1881 children Robert Hughes 10 Patrick Hughes 8 Sarah Hughes 5 Mary E. Hughes 3
    1891 extra child edward 9
    1911 Sarah McHugh 34 Rose Ellen McHugh 29 Jane McHugh 24 Patrick McHugh 20

so robert is maybe first child
    Robert Hughes Apr-May-Jun 1870 Stockton Durham, Yorkshire - North Riding Volume 10a Page 139
    might be him
    look for other children
    https://www.
    freebmd.org.uk/
    buy one of there births for mothers maiden name

this is closest marriage i can find
    Marriages Dec 1869 McGOUGH Edward Parry Rose Liverpool 8b 398

https://www.familysearch.org/ for some census returns

my advice to you is
    start 1911 then 1901 1891 1881
    write down all the childrens names and years and place born
    buy at least one birth record
    when you have mothers maiden name you can search by her full name and edwards and search sounds like for his surname
    there are seaveral ways to spell his surname
    as you know hes born antrim you can then search emeraldancestors or ancestryireland sites but id advise not till youve a bit more info before purchaseing anything

https://www.
    durhamrecordsonline.com/PRInfo.php
    Last edited by notanotherminer; 19-01-2012 at 5:48 PM. Reason: edited link to commercial website. Please read our AUP. Also edited direct link to FreeBMD which contains advertising.

Knowledgeable and helpful

The town where Edward was born is probably Carrickfergus, in Co Antrim. His wife’s place of birth might be Magheramourne, which is just a few miles east of Carrickfergus, near Larne.

There’s a marriage registered in Larne 1875, Volume 1, page 779, between Edward McHugh and Rose Ellen M’Kinty. That’s probably the one you are looking for.
    ELWYN

Loves to help with queries

Smile Don't pay when you can use free sites.

Hi
    Firstly can I suggest not looking at pay to view sites mentioned above -
    "as you know hes born antrim you can then search emeraldancestors or ancestryireland sites"
    There are plenty free sites to consider first. The Irish civil registration index is now available at www.familysearch.org if you go in and browse under Europe until you get Irish records and do a search, you can pinpoint the one you are interested in.

Certificates ordered from Belfast are expensive £14 so if Northern Irish BMD pre 1922 then cheaper to order from south of the border - www.groireland.ie Note rather than pay 10 euro for a certificate I find it cheaper to order a photocopy at 6 euro.

For beginners with Irish research there is a great free site to help you www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com Useful for more experienced Irish researchers too.

Jill

Quote Originally Posted by JNicLiam View Post
    Hi

www.groireland.ie Note rather than pay 10 euro for a certificate I find it cheaper to order a photocopy at 6 euro.
    If you quote the place, year, (quarter, where one is given), volume and page number (as I have given you above) on the order form, you'll get a €2 discount and a photocopy will only cost €4. Put that information on the line for "date of marriage" on the form.
    ELWYN

Jane56

Quote Originally Posted by Elwyn Soutter View Post
    The town where Edward was born is probably Carrickfergus, in Co Antrim. His wife’s place of birth might be Magheramourne, which is just a few miles east of Carrickfergus, near Larne.

There’s a marriage registered in Larne 1875, Volume 1, page 779, between Edward McHugh and Rose Ellen M’Kinty. That’s probably the one you are looking for.
    Hi,

Thank you for all of your advice.

I really want to buy the certificate above although cannot find where to buy it from as the groireland site is post 1922

I have absolutly no idea what I am doing with Irish records, as you can tell lol

Thanks again x

For pre 1922 certs you have to order by post or fax. The e-mail option is only for post 1922 certs.

1. Go to the site and click on “apply for a cert”
    2. Click on “marriage” (in English)
    3. Print off the order form
    4. Fill it in, making sure you put their names plus the location (ie Larne, Co Antrim), year, volume and page number clearly on the form somewhere. (I use the line for date of marriage).
    5. Post or fax it to them.

Do not worry about leaving some boxes blank eg PPS number. Payment can be either by credit card, euro cheque or you can just stick a €5 note in, provided you are not bothered about getting the €1 change. It takes about 10 days from when they receive it.
    ELWYN

obbie

hi
    in response to jill
    you are quiet correct there are plenty of free sites out there
    familysearch have records that have been recorded by the civil auth at the time and some church marriage and baptism records but they dont put down all the info just the basics
    as weve no census returns pre 1901 that means weve usually to search church records baptism marriages and sometimes deaths if your lucky
    lots of people decided not to record an event to the civil auth because of the cost and some as a form of civil disobedience
    the two sites i mention are pay to view but search for free at least these two sites give fathers names
    rootsireland which covers nearly all ireland dosent give any info that you dont input in the fields yourself
    im all for free records but ive found to get what you want youve to pay even if you get a free record it dosent give an address occupation witnesses names etc etc
    i dont work for any pay per view site i try find free records and then go onto pay per view and then leave the choice upto the person looking for help , that hopefully i have helped
    if your able to find info post it but dont shoot the messenger just because its a pay per view site
    thanks

obbie