lesleyl

Default Patience Box - workhouse in Wolverthampton

I am trying to gather information on Patience Josephine Box. Born Q3 1899 Burnley, first found on 1901 census, age 1 1/2 yrs, at the Wolverhampton Union Workhouse with her mother Annie Box, pauper, age 32, married, born Wolverhampton, Staffs. There are no other Box's in the institution in that year.

The next mention of Patience is in the 1911 census in Nazareth Home, Pembroke Street, St Clement, Oxford. She is now age 11 and description is inmate. Place of birth is Bury, Lancashire. There is no mention of her mother. The Nazareth Home appears to be a Roman Catholic home for the aged, infirm, poor and children.

I am awaiting her birth certificate but wanted to see if I could find any more information on her father (name not known, although assume surname Box), or her mother Annie and if indeed she had any siblings. I guess that doesn't seem likely as Patience seems to be on her own with her mother then totally alone in the 1911 census.

Patience married and had three children and lived in Dagenham, Essex. She died in 1949.

Does anyone know if there are surviving records for the Wolverhampton Union Workhouse or the Roman Catholic Home in Oxford? What sort of information would they give?

Many thanks

Hollytree

There seems to be a lot of information on Wolverhampton Workhouse here workhouses.org.uk/Wolverhampton/ put www in front. Lots of photographs of staff and layout of the institution too.......scroll down to the bottom and it gives you what records survive.

Anne

Reputation beyond repute

Surviving records of Wolverhampton seem pretty sparse however there are "inmates of children's cottage homes 1890-1930". I've no idea whether that might include this girl. Possibly not if she ended up in a Nazareth House. However, if it was me I'd say it was worth exploring.

I'm told that most records of Roman Catholic children's homes have been destroyed or otherwise rendered inaccessible. This is to avoid court cases relating to child abuse.

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    I'm told that most records of Roman Catholic children's homes have been destroyed or otherwise rendered inaccessible. This is to avoid court cases relating to child abuse.
    Quite a reasonable explanation of why such records are no longer available.

I can speak from experience in my own dealings on behalf of a family member

lesleyl

Thanks for the information on the workhouses. I have written to the local archives to confirm what information is still available.

I understand about the catholic homes and its frightening that such things did happen.

I have since heard that Patience had a brother (name not known) who turned up as a complete surprise after being sent to either Australia or Canada. How do you find out about that?

Everything about Patience and her early life is a mystery, she had elder sisters, Emma and Marie, whose births I can't find either.

I hope the certs I have ordered help in some way.

badgerboo

Quote Originally Posted by lesleyl View Post
    I am trying to gather information on Patience Josephine Box. Born Q3 1899 Burnley, first found on 1901 census, age 1 1/2 yrs, at the Wolverhampton Union Workhouse with her mother Annie Box, pauper, age 32, married, born Wolverhampton, Staffs. There are no other Box's in the institution in that year.

The next mention of Patience is in the 1911 census in Nazareth Home, Pembroke Street, St Clement, Oxford. She is now age 11 and description is inmate. Place of birth is Bury, Lancashire. There is no mention of her mother. The Nazareth Home appears to be a Roman Catholic home for the aged, infirm, poor and children.

I am awaiting her birth certificate but wanted to see if I could find any more information on her father (name not known, although assume surname Box), or her mother Annie and if indeed she had any siblings. I guess that doesn't seem likely as Patience seems to be on her own with her mother then totally alone in the 1911 census.

Patience married and had three children and lived in Dagenham, Essex. She died in 1949.

Does anyone know if there are surviving records for the Wolverhampton Union Workhouse or the Roman Catholic Home in Oxford? What sort of information would they give?

Many thanks
    Hi - the brother you mention is Edgar Box, my grandfather! I am trying to trace the family - please contact me!
    Julie

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Patience Box

Patience Box was my grandmother. She married Stuart Leslie Gorden Matthews and had 3 children, Margaret (known as Pearl) Anthony (known as Tony) and Patricia (known as Paddy). Patricia is my mother. Marie and Emmy have both died long since. My mother is still alive and lives in Dagenham. Let me know if I can help.
    Janet

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Sorry I forgot to mention, Patience has 3 siblings, Marie, Emmie, and Edgar. Edgar was sent off to Canada without Annie knowing as was the cruelty of the day. Emmie lived Hemel Hempstead in her final years and was married to Bert, I know she went into service from the workhouse. Annie and Bert had one child, Joan, who died about 5 years ago. Joan had one daughter, Linda, who still lives in Hemel Hempstead or nearby. Marie had 2 children, 1 girl who died at about 10. I believe she had Downs Syndrome, and a boy ( his name escapes me at the moment but I will update you when I remember.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Also Patience and Marie went into Coopers Coburn School and then became nurses. I know they were at a hospital near Ilford but I can't be more specific.