Loves to help with queries

Default Coneygar Lane Wesleyan Chapel Weymouth

I am looking for a photo of this chapel as my Gt Gt Grandfather John Edward WARREN was baptised there in 1837. Can anyone help or point me in the right direction? I believe it was demolished in 1867 so the chances are probably slim, but you never know!

Jan1954

I have had a scout round the interwebby but have not yet stumbled across anything. Perhaps an engraving was done at some point that has not been posted online....

Meanwhile, it might be a good idea to contact either (or both) the Weymouth Museum or the Dorset History Centre to see if anything has been lodged with them.

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by dogaholic View Post
    I believe it was demolished in 1867
    According to the timelines at weymouth-dorset.co.uk/timeline1800-1899.html (put www. in front) and
    weymouth-dorset.co.uk/timeline1900-2006.html (put www. in front) the chapel in Coneygar Lane closed in 1867, but was not demolished until over a century later, in 1974 . . . so there's a good chance there will be photographs of the building.

terrysfamily

Coneygar Lane has been known as Lower Bond Street since 1872

Useful links - thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    According to the timelines at weymouth-dorset.co.uk/timeline1800-1899.html (put www. in front) and
    weymouth-dorset.co.uk/timeline1900-2006.html (put www. in front) the chapel in Coneygar Lane closed in 1867, but was not demolished until over a century later, in 1974 . . . so there's a good chance there will be photographs of the building.
    That sounds more promising. Fingers crossed.

Peter Minter

Hi dogaholic,
    I have sent you a pm tonight.found some interesting info on the chapel in weymouth library today.