VMACAULAY

Question Is it possible to find stone mason guilds?

I have an ancestor that was born in Scotland in 1839, (moved to the United States in the 1860s), who was a stone mason and a builder. I was wondering if anyone has attempted to find find an ancestor's stone mason guild with any success? I may be wrong about all of this, but it seems like a guild might have records of members and any notable projects that they worked on. I wonder if looking this up is even possible and/or worth the effort?

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hello

Try this link
    https://www.
    masonslivery.co.uk/

Reputation beyond repute

Guilds were basically medieval organisations some of which managed to retain influence into the 19th century. City of London livery companies are the best known but their writ did not extend outside the City. The apprenticeship system was also weakened by the mid 19th century. Guilds when and where they existed were primarily local (city/borough/burgh).

I think you'll have to say where in Scotland this was before anyone is likely to be able to help. I know little about Scottish research so it won't be me but I very much doubt that this would be a productive enterprise.

VMACAULAY

Yeah, you're probably right about this being a lost cause. I'm having such a difficult time locating Andrew's parents that I figured, any additional information that I can find about his life might be useful.

I appreciate your reply. Thanks for the advice.

Jan1954

Have you contacted the Mitchell Library at all? (mitchelllibrary.org/virtualmitchell/) Based in Glasgow, it is one of the largest public reference libraries in Europe and they should be able to point you in the right direction for Scottish Guilds.

However, as Peter has said, knowing where in Scotland will help as then you will be able to contact the local Archives. Meanwhile, the National Archives of Scotland should also be able to help you. (nas.gov.uk/)