Loves to help with queries

Unhappy James Hutchinson/Elizabeth Bostock

The above two married Lockington, near Diseworth, 1809. No further details in Leicestershire marriage index I'm told. Does anyone have a copy of the register that they would be generous enough to look up which will hopefully say James ..... of Diseworth. If not, would the LRO actually extract the record off the fische or whatever for me or would they have the marriage entry in some other more easily accessible form? Then there's the LFHS. They would have these, wouldn't they. Once again, thanks all.

Famous for offering help & advice

There are a few options for you:

A Leicestershire Marriage Index produced by the Leicestershire & Rutland FHS - or is this what you already have? Most indexes will say whether they include the full details of entries or just the bare minimum; if not, the society should be able to answer queries about it.

A transcript of Lockington registers, I similarly don't know if these are a complete transcript, but you should be able to ask the people who produced it.

The Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester & Rutland (to give it its official title) have a copying service and should be able to do a print of the entry for you. They also sell copies of registers on fiche.

Hope this helps,
    Arthur

Yes Arthur, that does answer my question ......... first the Lockington registers here ....... and if not successful ....... The Record Office. Thank you ..... LizzieB

Quote Originally Posted by LizzieB View Post
    Yes Arthur, that does answer my question ......... first the Lockington registers here ....... and if not successful ....... The Record Office. Thank you ..... LizzieB
    I only received a "read" message from LRO. LRFHS actually went to the LRO on my behalf and came up with the goods ......... James ....... of Diseworth and marriage date. I found the LRO site a struggle trying to work out what they would/would not search/copy and they now seem to have lots of downloadable forms for records, a kind of do-it-yourself, with charges.

Famous for offering help & advice

Glad you've got it sorted - sounds like good service from the FHS. I didn't mean to imply that LRO would do copies for free, so sorry if you got that impression. However, I agree that record office websites don't always make it easy to work out exactly how to order things - and they're not always geared up for payments from overseas either. Though to be fair, with some kinds of copying, they can't quote an exact price until they've got the document out to see how big it is.

When in doubt (ie quite often) I tend to ring up to check that I've found the right form and have worked the price out correctly before sending in an order, but I appreciate that it's not so easy doing that from the other side of the world.

Arthur

Hi, I am new to this site and unfortunately it seems that a lot of the post are old(er). The Hutchinson name is familiar to me; I believe some came from Ayrshire. My great grandfather, John Gillies (aka J.G.) Shields, purchased Donington Hall and the estate. He also owned Breedon quarries. He always bought down his own families from Scotland. I do know of a Hutchinson who I believe lived in Diseworth - I believe J.G. owned some of the houses in Diseworth where he put his families in.

Regards,
    Debbie Rea