LynneOz

Default Manchester Guardian - John Taylor (1752-1817)

My great grandfather was a Taylor from Manchester. His father and two of his uncles worked on the Manchester Guardian as printer/compositors and later editors during the mid to late 1800s.

After web searching, I have realised that there may be a closer connection between my Taylors and the Taylors who ran the Manchester Guardian. A picture of John Edward Taylor is frighteningly similar to a photo I have of my great grandfather, Septimus Taylor.

From Google, I have learned that the Rev John Taylor (1752-1817) grew up and attended school at Stand-Whitefield (super close to my birthplace in Prestwich). His father is cited as John Taylor (1719-1796) coming from Yorkshire. There was supposedly a family including 6 boys. There was the Rev John and a brother James but I can find no reference to any other sons. James was apparently the grandfather of Mark Taylor of Poppythorn in Prestwich.

The Rev John's son, John Edward Taylor, was initially employed as an apprentice to a cloth merchant and just prior to his involvement with the Manchester Guardian in 1821, John Edward was established as a merchant in his own right working from his father's home in Islington Street, Salford.

Can anyone give me some clues about how to go about finding the other sons of John Snr?

Cheers

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I jusst googled "-Rev John Taylor (1752-1817) & came up with this, ishe the same chappy?
    Quite a family history there.
    https://genealogy.links.org/links-cgi...9011+2-2-0-1-0

Also have you tried London Gazettes?
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

LynneOz

Default Manchester Guardian - John Taylor (1752-1817)

Thanks Wendy.

I had already seen that and many other bits and pieces from Manchester history pages. There is a record of John Taylor (1719-1796) with a wife Mary or Ann. They had James (b 1748-1805) and John (1752-1817) and four other boys. John Taylor Snr was a farmer who moved to Whitefield/Stand near Prestwich from Yorkshire.

My Thomas Taylor was born in 1802. I believe his father was also Thomas and so he would have been born some time between 1750 and 1780. Given that there is a listing for a Thomas Taylor, tailor, in Manchester City in 1797, I would suspect he would have been born prior to 1776. My Thomas MAY have been either a grandson or great grandson of this John. It is a long shot, but one worth exploring.

Cheers

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Just a thought, have you looked at the registers for Manchester Grammar School Admissions register, I know they have there own Archivist, this is one of the volumes on books.google.co.uk, the Manchester school: with ..., Volume 1; Volume 69 By Chetham Society, but I am sure they are on one of the sub sites!!!!!