Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Harcourt Family

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi Linn

It's an interesting idea, but as my Harcourt-Gibson marriage wasn't until 1848, it seems rather unlikely that Jane Harcourt born in 1844 would be given the middle name Gibson on that basis.

I'm now coming to see that there were far more Harcourt families in that area than I'd imagined (thanks, Rob) - but my earlier research suggests that there may have been even more Gibsons. Consequently it's by no means impossible that there would have been an earlier Harcourt-Gibson marriage which gave rise to the use of Gibson as a middle name. Or perhaps the Gibsons were somewhere in Jane Walsh's ancestry?

You also wrote:
    If so, I would love the history the family of William Horning...
    Am I missing something? That name's new to me, so was this a question for Rob or someone else?

Arthur

ElizabethLinnHo

Default Harcourts

Hi,

Sorry, it should be Joseph Harcourt b 1792 Donaghmore D, Ireland and died 1843 Canada who emigrated with family about 1832 and George Harcourt b 1802 near Richhill Armagh Co. Ireland that I'm trying to connect. Any suggestons where to start - birth Certificates? or places I could contact. Sorry that the Gibson connection can't be useful.

Linn

I don't seem to have anything on either a George or a Joseph, so I think it's over to Rob on that one.

As for where to look for records: there aren't any birth certificates as early as that, and the best source of information is likely to be church records (where these have survived) - and precious few of those are available outside PRONI. The PRONI website (https://www.proni.gov.uk/) is a major source of information, and the online content is steadily expanding. From the right hand menu, have a look at Freeholders Records and Will Calendars, though I think any document images may be a bit late for your purposes. The left hand menu has useful sections on Family History, and on the Records held by PRONI - there's a useful page on Online Guides and Indexes (https://www.proni.gov.uk/index/resear...nd_indexes.htm) whch includes a downloadable list of church registers.

Over the years I've collected a number of website links for Co. Armagh and surrounding areas, and many of these include useful transcriptions. Try googling for any or all of the following:
    Ulster Ancestry
    Jean McCarthy's Genealogy website
    Newry, Donaghmore, Loughbrickland, & Banbridge Genealogy Site
    Pat Connors Genealogy
    Lurgan Ancestry
    Craigavon Historical Society
    Poyntzpass & District Local History Society
    Portadown Photos & History
    Raymond's County Down website

Whether they'll have anything useful to you, I can't say, but as my interests are centred on the Ballyworkan and Tandragee area, which is more or less midway between Richhill and Donaghmore, there's a chance you might find something.

Arthur

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I have a William George Harcourt from Drumbrain Aghabog Co Monaghan who married an Eliza Jane Gillespie from Garron Aghabog Co Monaghan in 1891. In the Irish Census 1901 they are living at Drumbrain with his widowed father also called William. By the 1911 Census Eliza Jane is a widow. William died in 1904 aged 83 (Genealogy.ie) and William George in 1910 aged 51. It appears William George and Eliza had triplets born on 29th Sep 1895 only one survived - called George. I hope this helps.

Hi Sarah, and welcome

Thanks for your message on this old thread - I'm still around, but the other two participants seem not to have been here since 2012. I've sent them both a private message to let them know that you've posted, so if they're not still subscribed to the thread but still have the same email address they should now know about it.

I think probably they would be more likely to be able to help you than I am, as I can't see a link between your line and mine at present. However, it's always good to get new bits of information, as it might all fit together some time. Feel free to take a look at my website ("Home Page" in my Profile), though I suspect you won't pick up very much of use to you there.

Arthur

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12