Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    organizedchaos

Default Watkins & Sparks

I have in my possession a marriage solemnization for William Watkins & Charlotte Joyce Sparks dated 8/2/1875 showing their marriage date as being 5/27/1848 in the Church of Thruxton in the County of Hereford. John Watkins and James Sparks are listed as their fathers. William was born 6/10/1822 in Kingston, Herefordshire. Charlotte was born 2/22/1823 in Abbey Dore, Herefordshire. I am unable to find them on any passenger lists as coming to America, but they had to have immigrated between 1851 & 1853. I know where they are buried in New York State, USA but am unable to find any information on them prior to their emigrating. They may have lived in Treville when their first 2 children were born. They are my g-g grandparents. Any information is greatly appreciated!

Lizzy9

Hello organizedchaos,

This appears to be Charlotte.

1841, Kingstone, Herefordshire. Piece 427, Book 21, Folio 15, Page 6. (Crown copyright, in care of TNA)

James Sparkes 52, Tailor
    Joyce Sparkes 50
    James Sparkes 22, Tailor
    John Sparkes 16, School M.
    Benjamin Sparkes 21, Tailor
    Charlotte Sparkes 20
    Eliza Sparkes 15
    Emma Sparkes 12

Lizzy9

1851 census, Treville, Hereford. HO107 Piece 1978, Folio 489, Page 7 (Crown copyright, in care of TNA)

William Watkins 28, Kingstone, can't decipher William's occ, looks like Garden Labr.
    Charlotte Watkins 28, Abbey Dore
    Martha Watkins 2, Treville
    Eliza Watkins 2 Mo, Treville

Lizzy9

Re: 1841 census, sorry, I should have mentioned James and his wife Joyce were not born in Herefordshire, all children were. The 1841 census doesn't give places of birth, just whether or not born in the county they were living in.

Lizzy9

1851 census, HO107, Piece 1978, Folio 362, Page 3 (Crown copyright, in care of TNA)

James Sparks 61, Tailor and Draper, Porlock Devonshire
    Joyce Sparks 62, Monmouthshire,
    John Sparks 26, son, School Master, Abbey Dore
    Elizabeth Sparks 25, dau, Thruxton
    Louisa H Sparks 7 Mo, grand dau, Much Dewchurch, Herefordshire
    James Symonds 18, Apprentice.

Lizzy9

There is this marriage which may, or may not be your ancestors.

James Sparks to Joyce Griffiths, 29th Apr 1813, St Pauls, Bristol, Gloucester. (from 'family search')

Lizzy9

Sorry, I haven't found them on passenger lists and not for the want of trying! May be someone else will have more luck.

If I have the correct family on US 1860 census I notice Eliza is not with her family, did she die between 1851 - 1860?

organizedchaos

Wonderful! Thank you!

organizedchaos

Yes, this would be Charlotte's mother and father! Thank you!

organizedchaos

Yes, garden laborer would fit with family verbal history. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast